Chapter 4

Lunch

I head into the kitchen and turn on the coffee maker. While the coffee is brewing, I grab Cillian's favourite tumbler from one of the cupboards. I want to do something nice for him, especially after everything we've been through. Making him lunch used to be a daily act of love and care, and I want to bring that back into our lives.

As I prepare his meal, I hear the sound of the shower stop. A while later, Cillian walks into the kitchen, all fresh and dressed in his navy blue suit pants and a crisp white shirt.

"What are you making?" he asks with genuine curiosity.

I respond casually, "Lunch."

Just as I finish answering, the coffee maker beeps, signalling that the coffee is ready. Cillian grabs the pot and pours the aromatic liquid into his tumbler, which he spotted on the counter. I playfully pout and tease him, saying, "I wanted to do that."

He chuckles and replies, "I know, thank you, baby," before planting a sweet kiss on the back of my head. As he does that, a feeling of warmth encapsulates my heart.

With his lunch neatly prepared and wrapped, I handed it to him, and he thanked me once again, showering me with another loving kiss. Then, in a whirlwind of movement, he rushes out of the house.

Left alone in the quietness of the house, I collapse onto the couch, feeling a lingering sleepiness tugging at my eyelids. I allow myself a few precious minutes of rest, basking in the cosiness of the moment. But soon enough, the adrenaline kicks in, and I jump up, getting ready to head to work at my book cafe that doubles as a bar in the evening. We often hold open mic nights, live jazz and performances.

I shower, apply some mascara and lip gloss, pull my curls into a bun, squeeze myself into some blue jeans, and pair them with a white turtleneck and some brown-heeled boots.

I grab my keys, and trench coat, and head out, getting into my car and driving to my cafe. I wanted to get there a little early to prep some things before employees arrive. They have worked hard to keep the shop going in my absence, and I couldn't be more grateful for them.

As I head out in my car, I can feel the cool morning breeze against my face. The streets of the city are just starting to come alive as people make their way to work. I turn on my favourite R&B playlist, singing along to the tunes.

I arrive before my employees. The quietness gives me a chance to set up for the day ahead. I grab my keys and unlock the door, stepping inside the cosy atmosphere of my shop.

I make my way to the back of the cafe, where I have a small office space. There, I check my emails and go through my to-do list for the day. Unfortunately, I'm greeted by a stack of paperwork that needs my attention urgently.

As my employees start trickling in, I take a moment to catch up with each of them. Throughout the day, I juggle various tasks - from scheduling shifts to ordering supplies, and even brainstorming new ideas for the cafe. I'm constantly on my feet, ensuring that everything runs smoothly, that my customers have an exceptional experience, and that my colleagues are happy.

As the day comes to a close, all I think about is getting home.

◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇

I understand that these chapters may seem like fillers, but I'm working on making the book more interesting. Enjoy! ❤