unfortunate

I was sat against a tree, confused. Maybe twenty minutes ago I had hopped the fence and observed my surroundings. There was a wooden house a fair distance from me, and lots of strange happenings. I could see caves from every angle, though they were all far. I still was unaware of where Brent had disappeared to before I hopped the fence, but that worry wasn't going to magically go away like he did. So my plan was to toughen up and just, keep going, I guess. "Shit, the one time I would like to actually take Brents stupid jacket." I said to myself, rubbing my arms. It was colder than it looked. My brain was having a hard time processing, trying to figure out how two seconds ago I was in my southern city and suddenly here I am in a freezing cold wintery land, with barren grounds. I decided since I was so cold I would go ahead and make my way to the nearby cabin. The ground against my feet felt crunchy, and the sound it made was extremely loud. I wasn't too worried however, there was obviously no life forms anywhere to be found. Except for the obvious house I was walking towards like a feeble minded girl. But that's how us main characters work. After the long walk, I arrived at the front steps of the cabin. For no apparent reason, I knocked. Why? I have no idea. Don't ask, won't tell. I then swung open the door, to find a surprising amount of things. A lantern, a flashlight, batteries, food, a sleeping bag, an unopened chest, and a book. Hesitantly I stepped into the house further. The tables were raw and scratched up, as if someone had torn their way onto the table. The walls were bare, one window which was covered by a dark brown cloth. The roof was made of logs all around, one spot having planks atop it as well. It was eerie, but it was only that way because it looked abandoned, or worse, recovered. I didn't want to be intruding onto someone's only home, but then again if they're kind maybe I can be a good guest. I ran my fingers along the table, feeling every groove and bump with ease. I reached for the book I'd seen, picking it up. It was leather, with a little lock on it, which was undone. I opened the book, and my eyes began scanning the words. The handwriting was perfect, unprinted. The ink however was smudged, and bled through pages. I touched the ink, wondering if it was dry. Suddenly, I heard footsteps. "Shit.." I mumbled under my breath, setting down the book. I checked the window, and didn't see anyone, but the crunching sound of snow was getting louder and louder. I turned for the door, but then I turned back, knowing it was too late. I had to accept my fate. That's when the sound turned from the snow crunching to the wood.

"Who are you?.."