night terrors

It had been about an hour, or felt like it at least, that we'd been up in the tower. Veronica the entire time had run back and forth, working on the radar and fooling with a little machine that was turned off. She'd positioned the lights, which were on either corner of the tower, facing outwards, but in unlikely angles. It didn't make sense to me, but my job was to stay alive, not to understand. I was half asleep, laid against a pole in the corner, when I heard a growl. It sounded like a wet cough, but loud and kind of scary since it was late at night. Veronica grabbed my wrists, pulling me up and waking me into full consciousness. "What?" I pouted, scared. "Just shut the fuck up unless you want to die, understood?" She said, and I held back a whimper of pleasure and fear as she grabbed my waist and pulled me as close to her as she could. "Understood." I whispered into her as she pulled my head into the crane of her neck. One of my ears was buried in her neck, the other she was now covering. "Warning, loud." She whispered into me, and kissed my forehead before pressing a button on the radar, sending a loud, scratchy radio frequency through the air. It pierced the silence. It penetrated the barren ground and shook every soul in the area. The growls I'd heard before were now getting more distant, and pained. I opened my eyes, to see it running away from the tower. It was disgusting. Slightly furry, with sharp claws, and glowing yellow-green eyes. It looked like a mix between a money, a bear, a chupacabra, and godzilla. It had blood on its grey fur, no clue from what, and it was somehow limping. For a split second, it turned around, its sharp eyes staring at me with pain and torture. Like it wanted to inflict all of this onto me. It continued to replay in my head as he walked away, the glowing eyes that hurt me worse than any physical pain. Even though I knew it wasn't going to hurt me, I started crying. My sobs silently fell into Veronicas shoulder. "Hey, hey. It's okay now Val. Just rest. Come here." She said to me, holding me close to her, pulling us down together onto a sleeping bag that she set up while I was busy fidgeting. I was now lying in her arms. I huddled into her chest and her hand weaved into my hair. "Shh.. it's okay Val." She said, soothing me until I fell into what somehow was a peaceful sleep through all the hell going on around me. Maybe this place wasn't too bad.