Of Spies and Intrigues

The tension in the room was thick like tar. The team, after recovering from the surprise of being told what had happened during the meeting and the ˈmissionˈ Nikkal and Elulu went on, all looked at Rea. 

The Kaptaruan woman stood straight, her gaze meeting unafraid with everyone of them. 

Nikkal had her arms crossed and waited for what would come next. Around her stood the others, Niall right next to her, while Aya and Iyar were a bit further from the group, also anticipating what would happen. 

"So..." Rea began slowly, "...before I say anything, I would like the promise you two promised earlier."

Nikkal had already told Niall this earlier, whispering as they had left the hall. Niall then stated, "You want protection for your island."

"Indeed," Rea affirmed. "Promise me my island will be safe from your lords' ambitions, and I will tell you."

She saw Niall clenching his jaw, his lips a thin line. "I promise to do my best."

It was the most he could do, truly. He could try all he could, but no one but the Five had the last say in this matter. 

"You cannot share what I am about to admit," Rea added seriously. "I am aware that not even your word alone can secure peace for my home, but if anyone finds out about this, then we lost."

The group exchanged glances. 

"This is why you panicked, right?" Elulu inquired. "Why you wanted to speak with lord Abibaal."

Rea frowned at him. "Yes... it was a high risk, but it seems today I only do reckless things."

"Then enlighten us," Niall requested, his voice slightly annoyed now. 

The Kaptaruan woman turned her gaze back to him. "Before we arrived in Zakruun, we made a stop at Alashiya. There I was approached by someone. Called themselves Bloodhound. They knew what I was."

Bloodhound. That must be it, them, the cutthroat Shamash and Enlil had sent. Nikkal nervously glanced around. 

"They said they wanted my services, wanted information about our rivals," Rea continued. "They were paid in gold." 

"And you did so?" Kurum asked.

"Had I known that could cause war, no, I wouldn't have," Rea answered and sighed deeply. "Yes, I sent word about you as well." 

"What made you change your mind again?" Zakiti inquired. 

"Bloodhound wants you to continue war with Kengir, and wants to bring the people of Kinahna into it as well," Rea replied. "And if they find out I and others provided information for the saboteurs, Kinahna would want revenge too."

Zakiti looked at her unimpressed. "Maybe you should have thought about the consequences sooner."

"How should I have known-"

"Every mercenary worth their salt would think before agreeing to any contract," Zakiti lectured her. "And you, serving your land, should think ten times as much. Was the gold worth it, birdy? Now your land may be doomed."

"I-I..."

"I knew it," Zakiti continued and rolled her eyes. "And you want us to fix your little mess?"

"No!" Rea interjected. "I want us to cooperate. We both have the same goal – prevent war." 

"And how should we know you won't betray us?" Rimush challenged. "What if you will murder lady Aya when our guard is down?" 

"What if she tries to kill all of us?" Nanniya added. 

"I wouldn't!" Rea objected. "I am not a cutthroat!"