A Time to Live*

A/N: Sorry this chapter took a while, but lots of good stuff including some smutty goodness! Enjoy!!

At the Gilbert House it's morning and Elena is lying in her bed staring at the ceiling. She reluctantly sits up and goes over to the window and pulls the curtains wide open.

In Jeremy's bedroom, light from the window suddenly spills on him in bed as Elena pulls up the curtains in his room too.

"Aaahh! Early. Bad!" He moans and pulls the covers over his head.

"Ahh. It's not early." She walks up to bed and pulls his cover off. "You're late, for work. Matt just called."

Jeremy sits up and looks at his phone. "Well, maybe he'll fire me." He reflects.

Elena calls back over her shoulder. "Aim high."

As she heads downstairs Elena answers the phone call from Caroline.

"What are you doing?" El asks.

"Just shopping for the party you're trying to bail out on." Caroline grins as Elena walks into the kitchen.

"I never said yes in the first place." Elena points out.

"You were never going to and we both know there was no way in hell Ember was. Which is why I planned it anyway. Speaking of which. Where is she? I have her a dress for tonight!"

"Em stayed at the boarding house last night. Apparently Damon had something romantic planned." Elena tells her.

Caroline rolls her eyes. "It's still weird and icky that he is like boyfriend of the century."

"Agreed."

"Oh, my mom wants you to call her." Care remembers.

Elena pauses. "Did she find something?"

"An animal attack in Memphis. It's the third one this week in Tennessee." Caroline shares.

"And you're sure it's a vampire?" She glances at Alaric who is in the kitchen making coffee and they exchange looks.

"Yes, but that doesn't mean that it's Klaus." Caroline points out.

"Doesn't mean it's not." Elena remarks and moves around the counter, pushing Alaric out of the way to fix the coffee pot. "I'll call her."

"All right. Well, I gotta go. I'll see you in a bit." Caroline chirps.

"Oh, Caroline wait, just... keep tonight small. Please?" Elena asks.

"Wear something pretty." Caroline hangs up.

Alaric has moved to the couch and is folding up his blankets from last night. "Was that uh... Stefan news?"

"Could be more Klaus victims." Elena admits.

"You certain Stefan's still with him?" Ric asks as Elena pours him some coffee.

"Easy to be certain when the alternative is that he's dead." They look at each other silently for a second. "Are you sure you're still okay on the couch?" Elena asks.

"Yeah, Yeah, I'm good."Ric assures her a picks
up his cup of coffee.

"Because you spent half the summer on it. If you need your own bedroom?" 

He gives her a doubtful look. "Eh, sleeping in your dead parent's room or my dead girlfriend's room. Nah."

Elena nods in understanding and starts to walk away. "Hey Elena." She stops looks at him. "Happy Birthday."

..............Smut*.............

At the Salvatore Boarding House, Ember is still deep asleep and only vaguely aware of the feather light kisses skimming down her chest until Damon drags his teeth along her nipple and draws the firm flesh into his mouth to suck it into a hard point. She arches into him and he switches sides to pay equal attention to the other sensitive bud.