Prologue: Apocalachia

DISCLAIMER: There won't be any pictures of sexy anime girls posted on this story, because Wattpad sucks. Go to my Patreon and follow me to look at the story and the pictures for free! Link is in my bio.

My brain feels like it's turning to mush. I want to stop smoking all the time and never doing anything else, but it's the only thing keeping me going at the same time. Everyday, I wake up, sit and do nothing, and nothing good ever happens. Bad stuff doesn't really happen too often either, but when the things that do happen are only bad, then life becomes pretty bleak. I go to a job everyday, but it's boring, and it makes my life feel meaningless. Sometimes I wonder, did people back before society was formed have it better? Was it better to only have to worry about what you were going to eat, and where you were going to sleep? Have all our advancements just created more things for us to worry about?

I'm putting another part into the cutting machine when I start to nod off, something that's been happening a lot lately thanks to staying up all night. When I come back to my senses, I'm already falling forward into the machine! But... It's no longer the machine that I'm falling into. There's some sort of flickering, pixelated portal! I tumble forward, and do my best to grab onto the edge of the machine, but my hand slips!

I fall for what seems like almost an hour, the hole above me getting smaller and smaller until it eventually closes off completely. And then, I land hard and suddenly on the dusty ground. My eyes are closed as I rub the pain in the back of my head. I try to open my eyes, but the bright light that blasts past my eyelids forces me to shut them right away. I put my arm over my eyes and then slowly open them, now able to see a blue sky above me.

I get to my feet slowly, still rubbing my eyes before blinking them and filtering in the light. Eventually, I'm able to see. And unfortunately, there's still not a whole lot to see... Until there is.

"WELCOME TO APOCALACHIA, HUMAN. YOU HAVE BEEN CHOSEN. CREATE YOUR CHARACTER." A disembodied voice basically shouts into my ears right before a sort of transparent menu screen appears before me. It seems to have listed all the abilities that I know from the tabletop games I play with my sister. There's Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma.

I look around, scanning the landscape again. But the only thing there is to see is this screen. Except for something far off in the distance. But to me it's just a little black dot that doesn't seem to be moving. I shrug and then step towards the screen. After a few moments of thinking things through, I decide to do just a bit of min-maxing by blasting my charisma up to 16, and my strength up to 15, while leaving all my other stats on a fat, average 10. I click the accept button, and the voice shouts again, "Please choose a class!" Thankfully it's a little quieter this time.

The classes are certainly different from what I'm used to, though they're also straightforward. The classes really are just different types of medieval weapons. Hammers, Axes, swords, pikes, glaives, bows, crossbows, slings, daggers, scimitars, katanas. I know my strength is pretty high, so I choose the coolest option that they were clearly trying to hide from me at the very bottom of the list. A moment later, a massive sword appears in a shower of pixels in my hand, the handle appearing first. Then the rest of the sword forms, going further and further until finally, I'm holding a full length Buster Sword! The colossal weapon slams into the dirt with a thud once it appears, almost as if the weight was only added after the process was complete. Additionally, a suit of armor with a chest plate, bracers, and boots appears over my body. I nod appreciatively at the nice, metal suit.

"GOOD LUCK," The voice shouts again, and I look up to find the words spread before me in floating, gold text. "SURVIVE!" Appears beneath them, in bright red text, and then it all dissolves in the wind. I look around slowly, and squint at the thing I saw earlier. It might be getting closer? My depth perception is ass I'm pretty sure.