|8| anxiety

"Vaibhav, for now, we are discharging her. But she needs to take care of herself," the doctor said, looking at me.

I nodded, and he left the room.

As soon as he left, an awkward silence enveloped the room, like a wave of stillness had washed over us. I stole a glance at Nidhi; she was looking elsewhere. When I followed her gaze, I found her staring at the table adjacent to the bed. She shifted her gaze from the table, our eyes meeting briefly before she averted her eyes and focused on the table again.

Realization struck me-she might be thirsty. Swiftly, I went to the table and filled a glass with water, forwarding it to her. "Here."

This was the moment I truly looked at her. She seemed tired and pale, with redness in the corners of her eyes and evident eye bags-perhaps from crying in the washroom. Sweat glistened near her hairline.

Was her nervousness due to my presence? It was quite apparent; she experienced an anxiety attack during our first meeting, so nervousness was understandably expected.

She took the glass from my hand, slowly sipping half of the water. I promptly took it from her and placed the glass back on the table. "Let's go," I said, turning my gaze away from her.

Taking a few steps toward the door, I realized she wasn't following me. When I turned back, I saw her struggling to get out of bed.

With long strides, I reached the bed where she sat. She raised her gaze to meet mine, quickly lowering it again. I gestured for her to hold my hand. When she hesitated, I held her hand firmly, ensuring not to cause any pain. Initially, she flinched, but sensing my determination, she eventually relented. Holding both her hands, I helped her stand up.

She stumbled a bit at first, her grip on my arm and hand tightening. Glancing at her feet, I noticed she was barefoot. I guided her to a nearby chair, went to the other side, retrieved her slippers, and delicately placed them on her feet.

She looked at me with surprise and curiosity, and though I sensed she wanted to ask something, but she swallowed the questions forming in her mind.

_________

She was leaning on the seat with her eyes closed breathing lightly.

"Nidhi seat belt," I said.

She lightly opened her eyes to look at me. With her shivering hands she pulled the seat belt and tried to tug in but she couldn't.

Sensing her discomfort I said, "Let me"

She gave up on the seat belt first I looked at her then slowly lowering my gaze I looked at her hand, holding the seat belt I slowly retrieved the seat belt from her hold and pulled it, which caused her to gasp a little and I tugged it in.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"Yes," she immediately replied.

I started the engine and focused on driving, soon we reached her house.
I pulled the break which caused her to open her eyes.
I removed the seat belt and immediately jumped out of the car and opened the gate for her.