heather

HAPPY HEATHER DAY TO THOSE WHO CELEBRATEE

(this wasn't proofread)

written on december 4, 2023

first chapter, and im already sorry..

growing up, I was always called 'the ugly kid'. no one ever liked me or looked at me the way they would to someone prettier. preferably blonde with blue eyes.

I felt that way until I met him. he made me feel special with his surprise visits and random "I love you"s.

Alex and I met during the third year of high school. he was the new student and was asked to sit next to me. god, I was so glad he did because he was the most beautiful boy I have ever laid eyes on. Alex had brown curly hair sitting perfectly on top of his head. his eyes are a shade of green that could be mistaken as jewels and he had the most charming smile.

he sat next to me and told me I was beautiful. I've never been called that word before and I immediately told him to cut the joke. but he told me I was serious and asked if we could get to know each other.

fast track to a few months later, we were seeing each other more. we weren't dating, but he could kiss me whenever he wanted to. he made me feel special in secret but I always wondered why he could never be that affectionate to me in public. or at least even acknowledge my existence.

on December three, he had asked me to go out with him. I thought he would finally ask me to be his girlfriend, but to my dismay, it was just lunch at his place. we ordered food and watched cheesy rom-coms while just cuddling on the sofa. a few hours later, we found ourselves on the roof. sitting there, admiring the beautiful sky. it was windy and I started shivering. he gave me his sweater and pulled me close. my heart was flipping, getting that warm homey feeling as he wrapped his arms around me. I felt my cheeks turn red as he kissed my forehead.

that night when I was getting out of his car as I was already home, I was giving him his sweater. he stopped me from taking it off saying that it looked better on me than it ever did on him. he said that I looked perfect in it and that I should keep it. I couldn't sleep when I got to bed later on. I couldn't brush the feeling of his arms around my figure, or the way he smelled, or how he made me feel like the luckiest girl in the entire world.

the morning after though, I was surprised by news that he was dating this girl. her name was Heather and she was drop-dead gorgeous. She had long blonde soft curls that flowed down her neck and just a little below her shoulders. She had the most beautiful blue eyes one could ever see and she was just so majestic.

Heather walked with such grace and confidence, it was no wonder Alex chose her. I was just confused. he told me that he loved me. he told me that I was the most beautiful girl in the world. he told me and made me feel special. so why was he doing this?

it had to be a nightmare. I felt tears prickle my eyes, begging to be let out and I ran to the bathroom and cried. I cried my little heart out wondering and confused about how he could just do this, if I did anything wrong, or if he simply just got bored of me.

Alex came over after school that day and greeted me like everything was fine. he pulled me in for a kiss when he saw me as if everything was fine. as if he didn't have a girlfriend.

I pulled away quickly while still in his arms. his eyebrows furrowed in confusion and he asked me if I was okay.

"Are you asking that? Alex, last night you were telling me you loved me and that I was perfect. today, I got to school and found out you were dating Heather, and you asked me if I'm okay?"

I blurt the words out in a burst of anger and scoffed, pulling away completely so there was more space between us. Alex looked at me like I was hallucinating.

"I'm dating Heather, but it's you who I want Ellie," he tells me, his tone getting less sincere.

"If I'm who you want, then dump Heather. you can't keep two girls, Alex. That's not fair to both of us"

"I don't want to dump her. I can keep both if I like, and if you're not okay with that then maybe you should go."

my eyes started to prickle once again and all the blood drained from my face. soon after, I felt wet, hot tears run down my plump cheeks.

"a-are you saying this to me? I found out today that you're dating another girl. you just told me you loved me YESTERDAY. why would you do that? why would you even kiss me if you were gonna date her? why would you waste my time and give me false hope in thinking I could ever be loved in that way? what have I done to deserve that?" I sobbed out, my voice breaking.

Alex just stood there, dumbfounded. "maybe it would be best if we just stopped seeing each other.." he said. I felt my heart break into a million little pieces as those words escaped his lips. the same lips I used to kiss passionately filled with love.

"f-fine.." I manage to breathe out. Alex turns away slowly, walking away. the moment he left, he walked away from what we had, he walked away from our "relationship", and most of all, he walked away from me.

I couldn't sleep that night again, but not because of butterflies. I couldn't sleep because I was being consumed by my thoughts. Thoughts questioning why he would do this and how he could just do what he did. I concluded that I was never something he valued with real sentiment. I was just his friend with benefits. His toy. He gave me a sweater, but he gave Heather his heart.