chapter three ─ ghost of a memory

act one , chapter three

act one , chapter three ...
ghost of a memory !

( now playing ... the sound
of silence ─ simon and garfunkel ! )

── ✧ ──

HE WAS TIRED OF WALKING . EVERY INCH OF THE arena he started to feel more pain. The more he looked for tributes to kill, the more cold he got. Seventeen year old Haymitch Abernathy had bloodstained clothes and nowhere to go. He was tired. He didn't want to walk anymore. Haymitch already knew that people were after him. And hiding was barely an option in this specific arena. He was already paranoid. He made sure no one was trailing behind him. Haymitch was a force to be reckoned with, and people were certain that District Twelve was going to have another row of failures. He didn't want that, though. He wanted his life. He had parents, a younger brother. He needed to come back home to them in one piece.

Out of breath, Haymitch finally finds a spot behind a tree and a bunch of tall grass. No one would find him for a while. Or, at least he thought. He sat behind that tree, a sigh escapes his lips. He hadn't slept in about twenty-four hours, maybe even a little over that. The District Twelve tribute buried his head in his knees. He had almost fallen asleep. Every little noise unfortunately kept him from falling asleep. And straight ahead, he heard the body of water bubble. It makes him suspicious.

It had looked like someone had made the mistake of coming out of the water. A male, raven hair. His skin was very pale. His curls had fallen out of his hair it looked like. Haymitch was prepared to try and kill whoever was in that water. When the other male's eyes spotted Haymitch from across from him, he looked scared. It's the first time that Haymitch saw someone so. . . Innocent in the arena. It's what makes him hesitantly put down the knives that he almost threw at him.

It was quiet. No one spoke for a moment. Haymitch walked closer to the body of water. It makes the pale boy slightly swim back, scared that something might happen to him. Haymitch kneeled down, now on the edge before he gets into the water.

"Aren't you cold in that?"

The scared male slowly shakes his head. Half from his nose down, there was still water covering him. He was hiding. Even though he said he wasn't cold, he looked as if he were shivering. It could've been that he was scared, too.

"How long have you been in there?" Haymitch asked.

The tribute in the water shrugged. It could've been hours. Maybe even days. He didn't mind as long as he wasn't dead. Haymitch tried to hold his hand out, the other flinched.

"I'm not gonna hurt you," Haymitch says softly.

He knew that the tribute in the water wasn't very open to trusting people. And for good reason, too. A lot of people were trying to hurt each other, and his bloodstained clothes didn't really make things better. It was actually proving the latter.