chapter five ─ let the games begin

act one , chapter five

act one , chapter five ...
let the games begin !

( now playing ... children of
the sea ─ black sabbath ! )

── ✧ ──

IT WAS TIME . THE DAY THAT EVERYONE HAS BEEN dreading since last year. The Hunger Games. Clyde and Tabitha had talked to their tributes beforehand, laying down all the things to be aware of, to avoid. . . Anything that they needed. And then if they needed extra help, him and Tabby would give them anything that they needed. They wanted Mags and Finnick to know that there was someone on their side. Clyde was still nervous about if he did a good job. Tabby always reassured him. But sometimes even that didn't feel like enough.

The two mentors were now separated. They wanted to talk to them before Mags and Finnick officially went up into the arena. Clyde with Finnick, Tabby with Mags. Even though Finnick and Mags had mentored Tabby, there was always room for more advice. Not that Finnick probably needed it. He was already skillful on his own, considering that he's the youngest Hunger Games champion to even exist. The two of them now were standing in front of his tube entrance for the game.

"Survival is beneficial, remember that."

"I know, Clyde."

"Not in that sense, Odair," Clyde told him, "Hiding. Food, water, anything to help avoid anyone who's trying to kill you. Hiding's not all that bad, you know."

"Hiding isn't how I survived," Finnick told him.

"I know," Clyde answers, "But saving your energy until someone targets you helps. You're a great fighter. But, it takes more than that."

Finnick gives a nod. Clyde doesn't know if he's really listening to him. He wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't. He was a guy who hid for years of his life. It was pretty much the most cowardly thing to do in Panem's eyes. Finnick looks at him, giving him a nod.

"You've done it. So it must've worked," Finnick told him, "Even though you didn't technically win."

"I survived. That's all that mattered to me," Clyde responded.

A small scoff of amusement escapes Finnick's lips. "Well, not everyone has your way of thinking, Clyde."

The mentor nods in agreement. "I know that, too."

Finnick gives his mentor a small, yet cocky smile before he steps into the small tube that leads him to the arena. Clyde takes a step back, he's still looking at him. He's worried for him. Both of them. He just wants them to make it out safe. Alive.