Chapter Twenty-Eight

Raven's POV

"Come now, Lyanna, you know this one." I admonished as I read over the parchment in front of her. Specifically, the blank space where an answer should lie, "It is probably the most interesting fact about your house. How did Rodrik Stark win Bear Island from the Iron Born?"

"It sounds ridiculous," she muttered under her breath, picking at the wooden table

"Aye, but sometimes history is just that." I nodded encouragingly, "Do not second guess yourself. You've got the answer."

Lyanna took a deep breath as if she were answering one of life's greatest questions, "A wrestling match."

"There you go, cub." I cheered, gaining the attention of the few working in the courtyard, "Then Rodrik gave the island to your ancestors and the Mormonts have been loyal to House Stark ever since."

"Still sounds ridiculous," she shrugged

"Twas the way of Northermen, little one." I shook my head fondly at our culture

"Raven?" a voice spoke from behind me

"Yes, Harold?" I asked, turning in my seat to face the guard, "What can I do for you?"

"Lady Maege has requested your presence in her solar," he informed

"Alright," I acknowledged, standing from the table, "I better go. Harold, would you do me a favor and sit with Lyanna while she finishes her lessons for today?" the man looked between me and the Mormont, fear shining in his brown eyes, "Oh, come off it Harold, she won't bite. Right?" I finished with a wink to the little lady

"I make no promises," the girl deadpanned

"That will have to do," I said quickly, walking away from the two

"Raven!" Harold squawked 

I turned, now walking backward through the courtyard, "She's got two questions left. All you have to do is ensure she fills them out and get the parchment to me when she's done."

"You owe me!" he called back

"I will get you a biscuit from the kitchen when you hand over the parchment." I laughed, "An even trade." I turned, finding I had reached the entrance to the main castle. I walked up the solar as I had many times before, raising my hand to knock on the large wooden door.

"Come in." a voice responded from the other side

I entered the space, closing the door behind me as I made my way to stand in front of the desk, "My Lady, Harold said you wanted to see me?" 

"Please have a seat, dear." her face grim as she gestured to the empty chair beside me. I did as told, "I fear the news I have for you must be told with a heavy heart."

"My Lady?" my brows creased in worry

"Raven," she took a breath, "King Robert is dead."

"What?" I was shocked, to say the least, "How?"

"They are calling it a hunting accident. He was gored by a boar."

"'Calling it'? Do you believe differently?"

"I have no proof, but I wouldn't put it past Queen Cersei to do whatever it took to put her son on the throne." she sighed, "There's more." I nodded for her to continue, "Your father has been arrested."

"For what crime?" in my outrage, I stood from the chair and began pacing in front of the hearth

"Treason." she stared at the parchment in her hand, "They say he conspired with Robert's brothers to deny the thrones to Prince Joffery."