Chapter 2: Clouds

Catmint in Daisypaw's jaws, she felt victorious. Not only did Hawkshade understand, he gave her more than she asked.
'Rockslide will be proud, ' she thought, running down a hill to her clan's territory. Her pawsteps were already hearable at the clan camp.
Daisypaw sprinted onto the clearing. Seeing Rockslide, she started padding towards him.
„Daisypaw! You're back." Rockslide said. She read his gaze and put down the catmint. Something was wrong.
Suddenly, she saw it. Sorrelpelt was lying still.
„Rockslide, what happened? Sorrelpelt..." her mentor did not answer. He knew she realised, but there was more to it. „Daisypaw, before Sorrelpelt..." he looked down. „Before Sorrelpelt left, she gave us an omen and two healthy kits" Rockslide said.
„Since we don't know who the father is, we decided to name them Heatherkit and Crowkit. Stormlight and Paledawn are taking care of them now." he finished. Daisypaw was trying to sort everything out in her head.
'Sorrelpelt had two kits, she died, but before that, StarClan spoke? Why would they speak to a dying mother rather than to a medicine cat?' she was confused.
„And… what was the omen?" Rockslide thought for a while.
„I'll speak to you in the medicine den." Daisypaw nodded, picked up her catmint and followed him into their den. She noticed the snowfall stop. It felt a little warmer as she walked through the hanging moss at the entrance.
Her mentor sat down in his nest and spoke:
„StarClan sent us a sign. It was a raven. It flew over Sorrelpelt's head and dropped a piece of rotting prey to my feet." Rockslide gazed at her.
„Do you know what that means?" he asked. Daisypaw shook her head. „No…
I mean, it could be-" suddenly her head got heavy, black spots covered her vision, and she collapsed.

Daisypaw woke up in an unknown meadow. For a while, she was confused. Then a sweet scent hit her muzzel, she was in StarClan.
„Welcome," a voice said.
Daisypaw turned her head towards the sound. She did not see anyone there. „Why... Why am I here?" she stood up.
„I need to go back, to help my clan with greencough." she looked around, searching for cats.
Then she saw him. A black-and-silver tom she recognised. His partially silver pelt now glowing with stars. It was her father.
„Silvercloud!" she ran up to him. „I missed you so much!" She nuzzled up to his neck.
„I'm so sorry I couldn't save you." The tom just shook his head.
„It wasn't your fault. But I have to tell you something important." he said.
„It's a prophecy."

Daisypaw couldn't believe it, even though she secretly hoped to receive a prophecy one day.
She just did not expect it being so soon. „What is it?" Silvercloud nodded worriedly.
„Listen closely: When gray clouds join birdlings to fly the sky, the light will become the darkness." Daisypaw stood silent, repeating the words inside her head.
„What does it mean?" she mewed. Silvercloud turned his head up and gazed onto the night sky.
„A star does not have to shine the brightest to be the most beautiful one." his gaze shifted back to Daisypaw.
„The same as prophecies are not meant to be understood right away." Daisypaw sat still, wondering what it meant. „Silvercloud," she began. „I'll miss you." the tom's gaze became clouded with sadness.
„We'll meet soon enough," he said, disappearing from Daisypaw's vision.

Daisypaw woke up in the medicine den to Rockslide nudging her head with his nose. She slowly opened her eyes. „You're finally awake. I am really glad nothing happened to you," he said, getting up.
„You've slept for two days." Daisypaw stood up in horror.
„Two days?" she yowled. „How is that possible?" Her mentor looked at Daisypaw, questioning her insteadof answering.
„What did you see?" he shifted anxiously. „It has been a long time since StarClan last spoke to us." Daisypaw gazed at him. 'Am I the only cat StarClan has spoken to in three moons? Why did I sleep for so long?' she thought, flicking her tail.
„I don't know if it was important..." Rockslide shrugged.
„You can tell me everything, make sure you always remember that." he got up and left the medicine den.
„What about the omen?" she whispered to herself.
„What could it all mean?"