Fifty-Three

The journey didn't feel as long as before because Astrid knew, more or less, what to expect. She was ready for the sadness and depression that settled over her gradually, and even for the nervous, constant vigilance of the angels trying to find the safest route across the bleak and desolate land to avoid danger.

The fallen angels to whom Astrid didn't get to talk to properly before, were as eager to talk to her now as were Michael and Rigel, and she only had time to be alone with Azrael when they set up camp at nights. Astrid had to insist on sharing the tent with him the first night, when Michael suggested she stayed with Evangeline. She refused vehemently, and the archangel, most likely fearing a human teenage tantrum which his newly discovered daughter might perform, respected her decision from that moment on.

"Why are you here?" Astrid asked Evangeline on the third day of their journey-- they were nearing the entrance of the pit, and Azrael was discussing what to do next with Michael, at the head of the group.

Astrid had already spoken to Camael and felt a strong affinity for the fallen angel; she noticed how Ramiel and Rigel, who had walked at her sides for one whole afternoon, seemed to do everything together, their growing affection was obvious. And she was getting to know Michael, Michael the archangel, Michael the man who loved Polaris so much that he didn't hesitate to venture above ground for the first time in more than sixteen years, to face the demon regent of Eurovea who had kept her, and his daughter, from him for so long. Michael, the father... That was the side of him which she dreaded the most, the part of him that tried to assert the rules between them, a thing Astrid wasn't used to. Uncle Arcturus had never really bothered, not in person, and Astrid had always obliged to Arabella and Orion and her tutors because she wanted to, rather than because she was told to. Her relationship with Orion had always been encouraged, and so, Michael's need to put some restrictions on her and Azrael's love was unwelcome, hard to comprehend, and impossible to accept.

"Why are you here?" Astrid repeated her question when Evangeline's jade green eyes turned to her a while later-- like the rest of them, she was constantly scanning their fog shrouded surroundings for danger. Astrid knew that Oblivis wasn't a pleasant place for fallen angels; she had been wondering why Evangeline was here with them now, when she could have stayed in the safety and comfort of the White Tower.

Evangeline shrugged. "I volunteered to accompany you. Azrael never loved me, not romantically, and I accept his feelings and decisions. I'm happy that he found you," she said, her eyes, brimming with affection and honesty, boring into Astrid's. "I don't want to lose him as a friend, Azrael is a wonderful angel..."

"I know, thank you, Evangeline," Astrid said, stopping and standing on her tiptoes to pull the tall woman into an embrace, their interaction attracting the attention of those walking in front of them.

The whole group stopped, and once Astrid let go of Evangeline, who hugged her back just as fiercely, she noticed that the countryside beyond the shifting tendrils of fog had changed. They stood at the foot of a rock wall, with the entrance of the tunnel leading to the pit barely visible high above them.

Azrael reached Astrid in two strides, his arm coming around her waist even as she leaned into him, breathing more freely when he was close.

He observed Evangeline curiously, accepting what he read in her eyes with a grateful smile before he bestowed a kiss on top of Astrid's head even as the rest of their group gathered around the three of them.

"Unless you are too tired," Michael said, his eyes intent on Astrid, "we can be out of here in a few more hours of walk. Then, the moment we are beyond the tunnel, we can fly you and Rigel to the Land's End cave. We might reach it tomorrow night if we hurry, you two can sleep during the journey..."

"What about you?" Astrid asked, her eyes flickering between Michael and Azrael. "Won't it be too tiring for you?"

Michael smiled at her. "We don't need to rest as often as you do. We can do this and then stay with the LandEnders as long as you and Rigel will need to recover before we move on."

Astrid nodded; there, in the cave, the fallen angels would be able to get some news of what was happening outside, and Rigel would see his parents. She found his face among the others looking down at her and returned his smile.

"Let's go then," Astrid and Rigel said at the same time and the group broke into twos and threes again, Azrael remaining at Astrid's side this time, as they made their way up the hill.

Even the gloomy air filling the deep pit tasted better to Astrid's lungs and mind than the oppressive atmosphere of Oblivis when they emerged on the other side of the tunnel hours later. She felt so tired that she abandoned herself into Azrael's arms without objections, letting his scent wrap around her while the slightest movement of his wings lulled her to sleep as they flew upwards.

It took them many hours to reach the cave, silent hours during which the angels communicated within their thoughts, expressing their expectations and worries. Astrid, when she was awake, caught enough glimpses of those unspoken conversations which, added to her own concerns, made her fear what she might find upon her return to Eurovea.

Camael, Evangeline, and Michael, faster as they were not carrying anyone, left the others behind as they were nearing the cave in order to prepare the LandEnders for their arrival.

When Azrael set Astrid on her feet in front of the cave, both Rigel's parents were already there, waiting for her and their son's return, enveloping them both in a long embrace.

Unfortunately, they had spent weeks in the cave, and so they had no fresh news from the outside to offer to Azrael.

"Jophiel saved our lives," Regulus said.

He smiled at Ramiel, who, clad in his typical fallen angel attire, must have reminded him of his friend, Astrid was sure. She could see the awe his and Andromeda's eyes filled with every time they looked at Azrael, and she couldn't blame them; he was impressive in his angel form.

"Finally, we meet your mysterious guardian, Princess," Regulus said, his eyes crinkling at the corners.

Astrid smiled. "You knew about him before I did. I... I'm so thankful for your help and friendship, I'm sorry that this is the price you paid. I had no idea it would come to this..."

"Please don't apologise," Astrid was surprised to hear Andromeda join their exchange-- the woman hadn't been happy about her husband's ties to the fallen angels before. "We don't regret anything. If we are forced to choose between you and your uncle, then we choose you. Now let us go in, you must be hungry and tired, and the people are anxious to speak to all of you," she added, her smiling eyes flickering between Ramiel and Azrael, as she urged the group into the cave.