Chapter 1: Awakening

"Well well well. What do we have here?"

The voice circled around, bouncing throughout the skull of the poor girl who had just come to.

This was Light. When the others had been formed, so had she. However because of the soul merging... she wasn't exactly complete.

Light didn't appear to be that special. Just an average height skeleton girl. She had translucent hair, made of pure light. She wore a simple white dress. She was devoid of any color but white, but boy was it a brilliant white. Sometimes colors would shimmer as her hair moved. She opened her eyes.

They were certainly a sight to see. Bright and radiant, almost emitting warmth and welcome. Just two average pinpricks of light settled into her otherwise empty eye sockets.

Light was, well to say the least, startled by this voice. She had opened her eyes for the very first time in a new place and heard a sound.

Now maybe for any other creature, understanding all of this right after being created would be ridiculous, impossible.

However she was not a regular occurrence. Light was the physical and mental embodiment of light. Similar to those of old such as balance, she came to perfectly aware of her surroundings.

Well... maybe not perfectly. Someone who had developed perfectly would be able to understand that waking up to a voice in the middle of an empty glade was something to be questioned. Light, bless her soul, did not. As she opened her mouth to question the source of the sound, saw a butterfly.

She was taken in a trance. The delicate colorful wings flapping to keep such a small living being in the sky. Floating gracefully past the colorful and dainty flowers...

Flowers? Oh, of course! Those strange growths from the land! She quickly scrambled towards the vegetation, cradling colorful blossoms in the palms of her hands.

The owner of the voice was silent. No, they most certainly could not go away. They were bound to this strange girl. However, they were desperately trying to figure out what on earth was wrong with this girl. An ominous voice had called out to her within the first moments of awakening. How could she just chase after butterflies?

They watched in confused awe as the young girl laughed and gleefully ran her fingers through the grass. Everything was a new experience for her, and by golly was she going to take the chance to enjoy it! Soon enough, Light was flopped on her back, grinning at the clouds in the sky. Watching butterflies drift by on a mission for nectar, the cool breeze ruffling her hair. The swish of grass in her fingers, the lazy float of clouds in the sky? It was beautiful. Light had never seen anything like it. Well, she hadn't seen anything up until a few moments ago after all.

The voice wasn't sure what to do. They recalled when they had been brought into existence. Admittedly, it hadn't been nearly as beautiful as this. They had come to life in a swirling vortex of black and white. It had been quite fascinating, but the second a voice was heard? They had forgotten all about whatever mystery beauty was around them. This girl however? She had very clearly not done so. Convincing this girl to do as they asked was clearly going to be much harder of a task than they initially imagined.

Light was completely oblivious to the dark thoughts nearby. Everything was beautiful, for a first day this was amazing! For a brief moment, she questioned. Why was she here? What was she? How did she know the words for the things around her? How did she know what a word was?

As any logical being of power that was just created would do, Light closed her eyes.

She then decided to forget about it.

Sure, these things were strange and possibly important. In fact, she should probably be scared. Having some sort of existential crisis, losing her mind, dissolving into tears. But where was the fun in that? There were so many new things to explore, to look at as her mind explained what they were. This was no time to be drowning in despair and confusion! The whole wide world was out there, just begging to be explored!

It was at this moment, balance decided they were stuck with a lost cause. Honestly, who else could it have been? Being able to watch this girl as a sort of ghastly phantom would be interesting, and perhaps they would have been able to settle for it. At least, if there wasn't a mission they were set on accomplishing.

Nobody said pawns would be easy to use. In order to play chess, one must learn the rules. Sculpting this girl into a perfect tool would be a lot of work, more than was originally planned. However they did have eternity. There was little chance Sphere would suspect any of the new lifeforms to be the vessel carrying his sworn enemy.

Oh that brat. His sister had chosen to sacrifice herself! Balance had even felt... guilt. Such a nasty feeling, worthless in the long run. Maybe balance would have even been able to bring that wad of joy back. But nooooo, Sphere just had to get all angry about such a trivial matter. He just had to use whatever stupid magic he was able to wield to shatter balance's soul. Given, they really should have seen it coming. Sphere was impulsive, led solely by emotion. They doubted there was even a single thought behind the eyes of that pitiful skeleton.

Wrangling in and predicting this girl would be more complicated. She seemed ignorant, but judging based on glance was not the way to go. Balance was by far one of the most analytical beings to live.

Everything must have a specific purpose. They watched and judged a person's every move. Sometimes for days, sometimes for what could pass for years. When one lives together with time, there is seemingly nothing that is impossible. Balance could read most people like a book. How they felt, their next move, when they wanted to hide something. It was child's play honestly. People were so easy to read and play with. Just say the right things and they'll be dancing to whatever melody you chose to play. Balance grinned darkly.

This would be child's play! All there was left to do was watch their new host- or more accurately the newest figurehead in the collection.

Light was beautifully unaware of the malice bubbling up behind her. She had completely forgotten about the voice calling out to her. Why should it matter? It seeming inconsequential enough. There was something much more important. Dire, to the point where nothing else needed to be thought about.

Light had found a rabbit.

The rabbit had a silky black coat, dark as the night. Its ears twitched reflexively at every sound. Nervous eyes eyed the skeleton.

Light was lying down flat in the grass, sparkling eyes watching this strange creature. Curiosity and excitement practically radiated off her body. She continued to lay there and stare.

The rabbit was much too frightened to move. Light had all the time in the world.

She stared...

And stared...

And stared.......

Until the sun slowly began to set.

Balance had been watching from afar. It was in this moment they realized that this really would not be as easy as they initially thought.

————————————————————-%——

These chapters look long on phone but short on computer. I'm losing it man.