Training

\\\\\\[[[\\\\\\[[[\\\\\\[[[\\\\\\[[[\\\\\\[[[\\\\

“I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”
― Marilyn Monroe

\\\\\\[[[\\\\\\[[[\\\\\\[[[\\\\\\[[[\\\\\\[[[\\\\

Cordelia was working with the rope, trying to tie the perfect knot. It was something she struggled with. At home, she would have to triple check the knots she tied so a boat didn't float away. It had happened before.

She was playing with a new knot technique when Finnick came up behind her. His breath fanning across the back of her neck. His arms encasing her as he took hold of her hands.

"Here." He said, grabbing her waist when she jumped. A small laugh left his body. Slowly, he dragged his hands back to the rope. Cordelia's face burned.

"I'm sorry, really sorry." He said though no remorse was present on his face. "Let me show you the best knot to know in the arena."

He was leaning his back against the table, looking at her with a glimmer in his eyes she'd never seen before. A feeling she hadn't felt in a while creeping up on her, making her body warm. Her eyes focused on his face.

"Don't look at me, look at the knot." He said, laughing. "Alright, this is the bit where it get complicated."

His hands moved with ease. Moving to tie the knot like he'd done it a million times. Maybe he had.

What he did next caught her off guard. Bringing the knot up she realized he had tied a noose. Pulling it over his head, he tightened it pretending it was choking him.

"Funny." she said, giving him a look.

"Do you want to take me for a walk?" He asked, moving to give her the rope.

Grabbing it she pulled him in. Her lips almost touching his, and finally she saw him crack. A blush was appearing on his face. She had the upper hand. Taking one hand she dragged it down his torso, nails scratching him.

"Maybe some other time, Finn. You know, when nobody else is around?" She said smirking before pulling away. Subconsciously his face tried to follow hers. Almost like a magnet, but she turned away.

"I've got work to do Finnick and so do you." She said, smirking over her shoulder.

"Yes Del." He replied, slightly breathless. His head was a daze as he watched the sway of her hips as she left.

She felt eyes on her as she walked. Maybe it was because they had witnessed that whole thing, or maybe it was because they knew what she was capable of.

Cordelia examined the other Victors. Watching to see what they all were talented in and where they lacked some.

Cashmere and Gloss were throwing knives at holograms. Johanna was swinging an axe around like a mad woman. Everyone was doing their own thing.

Cordelia had found a spot near the tridents and spears. They had updated the training center a lot. There was now a simulator that allowed for different levels to be tried.

She set it to as high as it could go. She needed a challenge. Walking in with a spear in hand she took her place in the center. The first two came running at her from different sides. Leaning down she allowed one to take the other out and then she stabbed the second in the back.

Another came running from above her. Leaping in the air to land on top of her. She was quicker and launched the spear into the head of the hologram "killing it." Then she ran to grab it.

Two more came, one from above her and one on the same ground as her. She acted quickly as a holographic spear came at her. She dodged it by throwing her head back and then she launched her spear. Not having time to go grab it, she evaded the second holograms punches before grabbing it's head and snapping its neck.

With a few more holograms being taken out she had beaten it. Sweat was collecting on her brow and she knew she'd have to take a long shower after this.

Turning around she noticed a crowd had formed. Katniss and Finnick being the ones in front. She walked out with her head held high and stood next to Finnick, infront of Katniss.

"You should try it Katniss. It's honestly kind of fun." Cordelia said, smiling softly at her. She didn't know why she was so soft with the young girl, maybe it's something she saw in her.

Katniss stared at her for a moment. Before walking in. Cordelia watched as she set it 2 below what she had chosen. The girl on fire wanted a challenge.

Cordelia noted how the girl skillfully took down her first few with her arrows. Her focus was lost however when she heard a whisper next to her.

"Del, I didn't think you could get more attractive then you already were. You proved me wrong, that might have been the sexiest thing I have ever seen." Finnick quietly said to her. The crowd was still around. Prying eyes were watching Katniss as she killed more and more with ease.

Cordelia turned towards him slightly, giving him a look. A smile crept its way onto her face and her cheeks heated up. She didn't (couldn't) form a sentence after that. Why was he being so flirty all of a sudden? It was in his nature to flirt with people even those he was friends with but this felt different.

Turning back she saw Katniss beat the final hologram and successfully complete the level. Cordelia felt proud of the girl. She knew she could hold her own, people just didn't seem to understand her yet.

As Katniss walked out, Cordelia left Finnicks side. Rubbing her hand on his forearm as a way to say goodbye and make her way to the girl.

"That was amazing. You're so skilled." Cordelia said.

She had finally gotten a genuine smile out of the girl, "Thank you."

A beat of silence had passed and then Katniss spoke up again. "I saw you volunteer for that young girl. That was really brave."

"Annie is one of my best friends back home. She deserves nothing but good things. It was the least I could do."

"Prim was my sister. If you teach me how to make a fish hook like the ones from your district I could teach you how to hunt." Katniss said throwing the girl another smile.

"Sure, thank you." Cordelia began to explain how to make the fish hook. Katniss caught on quickly and learned within 20 minutes. Then they moved on to hunting.

"You want to try with me?" Katniss questioned her.

"I'd rather watch first."

"Okay, I'll go first."

She watched as the girl reentered the simulation. Cordelia could pay attention better now. Katniss moved with grace.

Cordelia had her second turn, this time with a bow. She wasn't as skilled with this weapon but she ended up beating the level switfly.

Before she and Finnick left the center she thanked Katniss for everything. She could feel a friendship blossoming.