S3: Look Who's Back

(Naomie)

We're all sitting around in the dayroom- Daryl said that's what it's really called- eating breakfast. Well, it's watery oatmeal but it's better than canned beans. My backs pressed to the side of Daryl on the steps, Oscar standing beside us. Everyone else is around the table, Beth feeding the baby. She really loves babies, so she has no problem with handling her. Axel is off fixing up something that has to do with the alarms in the prison.

Carl hasn't said much today. He isn't even eating breakfast he's just pushing around the oatmeal in his bowl. I tired to talk to him earlier but he just nodded along with what I was saying. I know he's not mad at me but he's definitely not in the mood for jokes. I get that. It's how I felt after Pop.

Daryl's been acting weird this morning. He kept asking me if I was okay, and if I slept well last night. Hershel has been eyeing me too. I think they're scared I'll go back into not talking, like I did at the farm. As much as I kind of want to, Carl needs someone to be there for him. Especially with his new baby sister, and dad who's not doing great.

Speaking of Rick, he hasn't came back since he left yesterday. Glenn checked on him once and when he did Rick ended up aggressively throwing him against a wall. I'm hoping he's okay, for Carl more than anyone.

"I wish we had some strawberries at least." I mumble lifting my fork into the air. It's so watery the oatmeal drops back into the bowl. When I do it again, it plops onto my lap. I brush it off quickly before anyone sees, but I catch Oscar smirking from the corner of my eyes. "Shh."

"Naomie, don't play." Daryl grumbles.

"I'm not..."

"Hopefully, we can find some seeds. Start growing fruits, and vegetables outside." Hershel says, drawing our attention. "If we fill the barrels outside we can even plant them right outside the cell."

"I vote that we don't grow green beans-." I stop at the sound of footsteps coming from the hallway. Daryl must notice too cause his head snaps up in the same direction.

Rick comes around the corner. He looks clean for being in the tombs all night, and he's not as out of it either. Carl's head snaps backwards when he hears the door creak open. "Everybody, okay?" He asks. Are we okay? Has he asked himself that?

"Yeah, we are." Maggie answers.

"What about you?" Hershel asks.

Rick shakes his head and dodges the question. "I cleaned out the boiler block."

Daryl's body straightens beside mine. "How many were there?"

"I don't know. A dozen, two dozen."Yeah, that's what it sounded like when we were trapped down there. Rick took them all out himself. "I have to get back. Just wanted to check on Carl." He reaches out patting Carls back softly. Carl doesn't say anything though, he just drop his head down to the floor. I feel really bad for him. I couldn't imagine not having Pop there after Mom-Mom died.

Then I remember, Pop did kind of act like Rick. We hardly talked unless it was necessary, and we stopped doing our normal things like fishing, trips, and even watching shows. Pop was so sad all the time, he didn't even seem like Pop anymore. It wasn't until the world fell that he finally started being himself again. Weirdly enough.

Glenn stands to follow the man. "Rick, we can handle taking out the bodies. Okay, you don't have too."

"No I do." Rick argues before storming towards where Daryl and I sit. "Everyone have a gun and a knife?" I pat my boot making sure my knife is still in there, and then the side of my leg where I know my gun is.