Chapter II: Blood in the Water

Pirate base in the Archipelago

Time: 1130 (11:30 A.M.)

Nikolai, dejected and frustrated, watched as the last crate was loaded onto their one cargo plane.

"That's everything, boss," said one of the pirates as he placed the last crate into the cargo hold.

Nikolai pressed a button inside the cargo hold to lift up the ramp and close the doors.

"Those damn Colonial Navy fighters," Nikolai cursed. He walked towards the tent where the remaining five pilots had all gathered. Nikolai scoffed. The fact that these pirates didn't take off in their planes to fight when the Colonials showed up means I'm only left with cowards now. He mumbled a curse in his native language that no one could hear before stepping in the tent.

Once inside he could see Lena standing in the center of the tent overlooking a table with a large map of the islands. She glanced up noticing him walking in. "We need to leave within the next few hours. Now that the Colonial Navy knows this island, they're bound to launch a second airstrike to finish us off for good."

Nikolai nodded in agreement. He scrutinized the map and saw Lena had already used a pencil to circle three possible options. Nikolai didn't like any of them.

"We could land at Tortuga, where the other pirate leaders are scheduled to meet in two weeks," Lena suggested, pointing to the island. "None of the seven powers know where it is and we have enough loot to trade for new fighters and recruit more pilots. Our Condors are outdated anyway."

Nikolai shook his head. "If we arrive there in the condition we are now it would be an embarrassment." I know better than anyone to never look weak in front of other pirates. He pointed to the second option. "What about Broke Harbor Island?"

Lena nodded her head. "Well, we can definitely find new planes and pilots there. There's a fledging black market for arms and war materials at Broke Harbor."

"I'd rather show up to the meeting in Tortuga with some semblance of strength," he tersely replied. His cold grey gaze lifted up to meet those of the pilots. He could see the desperation in many of their eyes. His eyes drifted back down to the map looking at the third option.

"What's the third option?" he asked Lena, glancing at the last island she had circled.

"That's the Island of Biawi Ursidae. It's also where the last remnants of..." She paused before speaking, "... our former comrades from the civil war are gathered. It's likely we'll be able to recruit more Varyagian pilots and possibly resupply, though the quality will be substandard."

"More White Varyagians, eh?" He rubbed his chin in thought. An ounce of loyalty is worth a pound of performance in this business. "What else can we get from there? Any good planes or weapons?"

She shook her head. "I don't know, but the most likely thing they'll have are just more Condors."

Nikolai considered the options carefully and quickly arrived at a course of action. "We'll go to all three."

Everyone looked at him somewhat stunned. Lena slowly began to nod her head.

He first pointed to the Island of Biawi Ursidae. "We'll go here first to recruit more pilots and buy fuel." He then pointed to Broke Harbor Island. "Then we'll go here to buy better planes. Hopefully, they have something better than Condors." Lastly, he pointed to Tortuga. "We'll need to do all of this within the span of a week and a half so we can arrive in time for the meeting on Tortuga." One by one Nikolai looked everyone in the eyes. "Does everyone understand the plan?"