Other Epilogue or Something

Percy Jackson was, impossibly, more nervous than when he had asked for Katniss's hand in marriage. To be fair, he knew she was going to say yes back then; but his brain hadn't really gotten the memo, so it was still one of the most nerve-wracking experiences of his life. Now, though, he wasn't just suffering an anxiety attack about an important moment being perfect. Now he felt the weight of the sky on his chest, his breath coming too fast and yet somehow still not giving him enough oxygen. His hands were clammy and his jaw was clenched as he tried to focus on breathing through his nose. 

It would probably be fine. Great, even. It would probably be better than he would dare imagine. But he still couldn't help the feeling that the next ten minutes could break him forever.

"I can't do this," he whispered, as tears of frustration welled in his eyes. He shouldn't be so anxious! He should be stronger, he had to be. "I—I can't. I really can't."

Katniss rubbed comforting circles into his back, trying to be supportive, but he could tell she felt out of her depth. He couldn't blame her; Percy didn't think there was a right thing to say in this situation. What do you say to someone who's about to meet their dead mother? 

Well, it wasn't really his dead mom, but Percy didn't know if that made it better or worse. Would it feel like a cheap imitation, like some twisted game of pretend? Or maybe, since he knew it wasn't the same person, he could find some closure. Did he even need closure? Why did he come here?

Another pair of arms wrapped around his waste, and he hugged Prim back as he let out a shaky sigh. "Don't be scared. She loves you, doesn't she?" Prim said, like it was really that simple. 

For some reason—maybe it was the memory of Sally's warm embrace, or maybe the way Prim said loves, not loved—whatever it was, Percy felt a part of his tension flood out of him. He still wasn't completely calm, he'd be concerned if he was, but the worst part of it was gone. The fear, the doubt. He smiled down at the little girl who'd saved him years ago. If there was such thing as the right thing to say, Primrose Everdeen would certainly the the one to find it. 

"You're right little duck," he said, ruffling her hair and laughing when she gave him a half-hearted glare. She was fifteen now—which still blew his mind, by the way—and she wasn't quite so fond of the nicknames that made her feel like a little girl. Percy thought she must be immune to the mysterious disease that turned every teenager into a menace, himself included, because Prim was still the most pure and loving human he had ever met. "Thank you," he added, without the teasing. She smiled.

"Come on," Katniss encouraged, gently nudging him toward the apartment building. Even though his legs felt like they weighed a thousand pounds each, he nodded and pushed forward. At least he could breathe now, and his excitement was starting to outweigh his fear.

The newfound confidence lasted up until they reached the apartment door. He stepped forward to knock, and his knees almost gave out; his hand was shaking more than that time he pulled three all-nighters in a row, forgot to eat, and sustained himself with only Leo's strange collection of redbull flavors. He tried to swallow the knot in his throat, but it didn't work.

"I'm ready for this," he whispered to himself, closing his eyes and trying a breathing exercise. He could feel Prim and Katniss watching him, silently offering their support. His heart was beating so hard he could feel his pulse in his fingertips. He was ready. 

The sound of the doorknob turning reached his ears, and his eyes flew back open wide. His breath caught in surprise, unprepared because he hadn't even knocked yet. The door cracked open, seemingly in slow motion.

I... I wasn't ready for this.

Sally Jackson smiled at him. He stood, frozen yet trembling, feeling like a deer in headlights as she waited patiently for him to respond. She waited, and she kept waiting which Percy wrestled with his emotions, radiating such kindness and understanding that was so undeniably mom that he almost couldn't take it.