Chapter 19

Standing motionless, Edith's rosy ears, parted lips, slender nape, and curving shoulders and sternum made him giddy.

'What am I doing?'

The embarrassment and panic that came with the realization forced me to blurt out something like, "You did a good job helping my mother, just keep doing what you're doing and don't think about anything weird."

I also remember that Edith had only had her clothes altered at Ruayal's boutique, so I told her that she could call another boutique.

I admit that I didn't say it in a gentlemanly way. But I didn't expect to be criticized by her.

"It's not like I did anything wrong, you just hate me...... I can see why you'd want to blame me, it would make you feel better."

"It's cowardly."

Why did I have to hear that?

My head was spinning. The more I thought about it, the more my temples throbbed.

"You don't know anything about me, Killian. Nothing."

Why did that woman's face look so sad when she said that?

And she was right.

Killian knows nothing about Edith.

From the beginning, he had seen her only as 'Count Riegelhoff's daughter', and everything he had assumed about her was based on his impressions of Count Riegelhoff.

"Ugh......"

The pain started at his temple and spread to his entire head, until it felt like his skull was going to crack.

"Killian......?"

And when Lizé's voice was heard from somewhere, his throbbing head gradually got better.

"Lizé......?"

Lizé, who often came to watch Killian and Cliff's sparring, was on her way to the training ground today as well.

Killian was relieved that the pain was fading.

"Killian, what's wrong, are you hurt?"

"Oh, no, I'm fine."

He could smell the fresh scent of violets as Lizé looked up at him with concern.

'Yeah, I like the faint scent of violets. The strong rose scent is just disgusting.'

With that thought in mind, his head felt better.

"I'm really okay, Lizé. I've been dealing with an asshole of a woman this morning, and I just wanted to take a moment to–"

"Did you meet Edith......?"

"I came to warn her not to get her hopes up."

"Killian!"

"I didn't say anything mean, I just......"

Killian couldn't really explain why he'd stopped by Edith's room, not at the moment.

But with Lizé by his side, he didn't have to think too hard about it.

'She's just a spy sent in by Count Riegelhoff, and if she hates her situation, she should blame her father.'

With that thought, Killian pushed Edith's sad eyes out of his mind.

He tried to erase them.

***

After Killian left, I had to find something to occupy myself with for a few days to keep my mind off of him.

If I wasn't doing something, I'd soon find myself thinking about Killian's cold words, which felt like a knife to my heart.