Chapter 117

'It's a good thing my dress has pockets.'

I hurried out of the bank, my pockets feeling suddenly heavy.

'I have to move fast.'

After retrieving the money from the bank, I bought some plain clothes and a scarf on a street frequented by commoners and stopped at an inn to change.

Thank goodness it's winter. No one would suspect me with a scarf wrapped around my face.

Feeling like a completely different person, I walked out of there and into an even shabbier-looking inn.

"Welcome! Are you by yourself?"

"Yes. I want to stay overnight and get a meal."

"3,500 sennar for dinner and a room."

I was inwardly nervous that the innkeeper would look at me strangely, but he took my money without any question.

And with that, I was able to satisfy my hunger.

I had been starving for about two days, and my stomach was aching with hunger.

Part of me wanted to eat some meat, but my stomach would hurt if I suddenly ate something heavy on an empty stomach. A big upset stomach would cause me a lot of trouble, so I ate a creamy stew and bread.

'Ah, I think I'm going to live now.'

I quickly finished the bowl of hot stew and retreated to my ramshackle single room, locking the door securely behind me before I could rest my aching body.

But I was so tired that my mind was a mess, filled with anxiety and worry.

'Did anyone recognize me?'

I kept my face covered as I left the first inn, but I kept wondering if my behavior was awkward.

'I can't get caught until I'm out of the capital.'

I hadn't completely escaped death yet. The Cliff's men, who hadn't found my body, might be looking for me.

And if they caught me, I might not be able to avoid death as in the original story.

'If I don't meet the third condition of the exception, is it pointless no matter how hard I try?'

That would mean that my efforts to run away from the capital would be for naught.

But the only times I met both conditions of exception were when I was trying to survive, so this time too I have no choice but to make the effort.

'But where should I run to? I don't know anything about the countryside outside of the capital...... No, let's get some sleep, and tomorrow I'll buy a map and some other things......'

My worries were endless, but my energy was completely drained, and at that point, as if a fuse had blown, I lost consciousness and fell asleep.

After a deep, dreamless sleep, I woke up with a pain in my back, and the room was already bright.

I rubbed my swollen eyes and looked outside to see that it was already almost noon.

'At least I woke up feeling better after a good night's sleep.'

My body was still aching and sore, but I didn't feel like sleeping anymore.

I gave the inn's errand boy some coins to get some water and did a quick wash.

But the bruises and wounds from Shane and Sophia's beating were still horrible, and I had to cover my face with a scarf even indoors.

I went down to the first floor, paid to stay another night, and asked where I could get a map.