For The Love Of Good Grades

“Er….what?” I asked, unable to completely process what my ears had just heard. 

“Mr. B suggested you get a tutor. And it seems as though I’m your guy,” try as he might, he couldn’t keep the smile from spreading.

“Well, isn’t that just lovely,” I said, sulking down further in my seat.

“Aww, cheer up, buttercup. We’ll have your grade back up to par in no time,” Calvin answered, giving my shoulder a light pat. Electricity erupted from the small spot that his hand had touched. Staring at my shoulder for a long moment, I refused to oblige him with a reply, and continued to sulk on my side of the car.

 Calvin pulled into  my driveway a short time later, shifting the car into park. “So,” he began, drumming his fingers lightly on top of the steering wheel, “I guess we need to arrange some sort of study schedule for this tutoring thing.”

“I guess. I mean look, it’s really not necessary for you to tutor me. I can bring the grade up on my own,” I insisted, sitting up straight in my seat. 

“Nonsense. I told Mr. B that I would help you out, and that’s what I intend to do,” he argued. 

“Seriously, Calvin, you don’t have to--”

“First thing, I don’t really love the name Calvin. You can call me Cal, if that’s alright. And secondly, I do have to. I gave Mr. B my word,” he said, interrupting me.

“How about I just bring my own grade up by myself, and Mr. B can think that you’re tutoring me. He doesn’t have to be none the wiser,” I suggested, nervously fiddling with a frayed string on my shirt.

“Don’t you want my help?” Calvin, err, Cal asked, giving me the biggest, saddest puppy dog eyes that he could muster. 

“Oh, please, that’s puppy dog look isn’t going to get you anywhere,” I snuffed, pulling the string free from my shirt and twisting it around my fingers. 

Calvin said nothing, but stuck his bottom lip out in an extremely pouting (and attractive) manner. Trying my best to look unaffected, I narrowed my eyebrows and glared back intensely. After several long moments of our ‘stare off,’ we both erupted into a fit of laughter.

“Seriously, though,” Calvin said, taking a few deep breaths to help get his laughter under control, “I’m a man of my word. I told him that I would help, and that’s exactly what I intend to do.”

I studied his face for a long moment before answering. “Well,” I began, “you have to answer a couple of questions for me first.”

“Shoot,” he said with a shrug. 

“Alright,” I said, taking a breath, “did you know that it would be me that you were tutoring when you agreed to help?”

“No, not at first. He asked if I was free to help do some tutoring for a student in one of his chemistry classes, and I said sure. He didn’t tell me that it was you until after I’d already agreed,” Calvin explained.

“Oh, I see,” I said, mulling the information over in my head. “Well, have you ever tutored anyone before?”

“Not at this school. I did at my old school, though. Several students,” he answered.

“Your old school? You’ve not always went to Webster?” I asked, surprised.

Calvin hung his head, shaking it slowly. A hint of another smile spreading over his lips, crinkling his cheek into the cutest dimples. He really was very attractive. “For one thing, that’s more than a couple of questions. Do you need help with your math, also?” he paused to look up at me, his eyes bright. I shook my head, trying my best to look displeased with his speculation. “But, no, I’ve not always went to Webster. This is my first year, actually,” he finished explaining.