𝐋𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐒𝐈𝐂𝐊

Sejanus and Tigris filled in the pair on what they had missed during their time unconscious

Three mentors had been hospitalized—Coriolanus, Venus, and Gaius Breen who had been assigned a District 9 tribute. Gaius was in critical condition, having lost both his legs, and almost everyone else, whether mentor, tribute, or Peacekeeper, had needed medical care of some sort. Gaius was a Citadel brat with an endless supply of terrible jokes, now he was barely hanging on for his life.

Venus was bewildered that she was still among the living. That she and Coriolanus had been lucky enough to escape while the others were barely making it.

Tigris explained to them that some tributes died after the rebel bombing. Apparently, no one was able to detect how long since last years Games that the bombs were placed there. The Arena was seen as a symbol and she and Coriolanus, along with the others, were collateral damage for the rebellion.

Both pairs from Districts 1 and 2 had escaped for the hole blown open near the entrance. The District 1 kids were shot dead on impact. The girl from 2 made it to the river and leaped over the wall, only to die in the fall, and Marcus disappeared completely. Leaving a dangerous, desperate, powerful boy loose in the city. A displaced manhole cover suggested that he might have climbed underground to the network of tracks underneath the Capitol.

Venus could see the mention of Marcus was upsetting him, so she decided to change the subject matter. "What happened to me?" She asked Sejanus, propping herself up on the Hospital bed.

The boy sat closer to her, frowning as he had to relive the scariest moment of his life. "I was late coming to the Arena. By the time I got there it had been blocked off and you were in the Ambulance." He expressed. "Your parents told me you had to have surgery on your leg, the gash was too deep and you had a cut on your stomach."

"Where are they?" She asked.

"I told them I'd keep watch over you while they went home to rest, they've been here for two days." He whispered.

Two days? The girl thought. Her mind went into hyper drive. The interviews were over, the Games would be starting if they hadn't already. Was Dill alive? Venus never was able to give her the remaining doses of medicine she needed...

If Dill was dead, what was the point of even being here?

Venus climbed out of the bed, hissing when she placed her weight on her injured leg. Tigris and Sejanus tried calming her, even Coriolanus, telling her to rest but she couldn't find any sense of ease.

"Did the Games start?" She grabbed Sejanus by the arms, clinging to him for dear life. "Is Dill okay?!"

"They start tomorrow." He assured her, placing her back in the bed. "You're going to rip your stitches, Venus, please."

She shook her head, fighting against him. "You don't understand! I have to see her. I need to know Dill is alive, Sejanus."

A doctor and nurse entered the room, running towards the commotion. They ordered Tigris and Sejanus to leave, that visiting hours needed to be over but all that could really be heard was Venus screaming to the top of her lungs. The smell of blood entered the room and everyone looked towards the girl's abdomen, in her fit of rage and confusion she managed to break the stitches on her stomach. Coriolanus was trying his best to calm her down, to get Venus to focus on him, but she didn't listen. The nurse held her fragile body down on the bed while the doctor pricked her neck with a syringe.