Chapter 1

• Dedicated to uncleredcracker

I am going through and updating this story. I will write updated at the top of each chapter when I am done with it. I am changing a few things so if some things don't line up that is just because I haven't made it to that chapter yet, bare with me. ☺️

UPDATED

Maylyn's POV-

Two words, Aptitude Test. It is a simulation that tells you what faction will best suit you. I do not want to take it because I know it will give me some fruity-peachy, goody- two-shoes faction. Such as Amity, the land of the fruity, friendly farm people or Abnegation, the home of the boring. The thing that angers me the most is knowing Brooklyn will test into the faction that I want to call home. Dauntless. Brooklyn is a fearless, no bullshit, make-it-happen kind of girl. She does not care what you think of her or her attitude and Brooklyn has absolutely no problem telling you how it is. Through her actions and words my parents have no problem deeming her the "screw-up" child. She cannot and will not be controlled no matter how much they scream at her.

The most important thing that you are told about the Aptitude Test is not to tell anyone your results. They are absolutely kidding themselves if they think my sister and I will not tell each other. I can't help the nervousness that sets in as I wait to take my test. It is eating me up inside knowing my fate and how disappointed my twin will be when I have to rely the news that I am not Dauntless material. My leg starts to bounce as my brain keeps recycling bad thoughts.

"Maylyn, you may come in now." I shake the horrible speculations out of my head and try to clear my mindset as I jump up from the seat.

We were already told that the person conducting the test would be from Candor. They are driven to be honest and unbiased so these tests will always be done accurately. I like that it isn't another Erudite member, they are always quick to tell their people that they need to stay in the faction so I have no doubt that they would give false results.

"What is your name?" The lady looks taken aback by my question. Almost as if, no one ever asks.

"Clair, nice to meet you." I shake her hand and look at her appearance. Clair has her black hair tied back in a bun and she is wearing a formal white blouse with a black pencil skirt. Very proper, that's how I would describe her.

I follow Clair to a random room. There is a big machine with a chair connected to it. My eyes wander all over the room as I start feeling uneasy seeing all of the wires. I can't help but shake my head at my actions knowing Brooklyn would never be this nervous or unconfident in herself.

"Sit down." Clair directs me. She starts to hook me up to the weird contraption, then hooks herself up to it also. She gives me a vial of clear liquid. "Drink it."

I swish the liquid around in the container. I know many people have had to take this same concoction before me but I still feel anxious about what it will do to me. After all, I could have an allergic reaction to it. I could possibly die from it. Do they really know it is safe? Have they done proper testing on it? I force my thoughts to stop and quickly down the cold liquid.

The boring, drab room fades away and I find myself in a completely different space. Looking from left to right and all I see is darkness. There are no walls, there is no ceiling, nothing of but black fills the void. However, there is an old, wooden table directly in front of me with knives and cheese on it. To say I am confused would be an understatement.

"Choose," I feel my soul leave my body at the sound of this booming voice scaring me. Once my heart rate comes back down to normal I look at my options again. For some unknown reason, I instantly want to reach for the knife. What if the simulation turns into survival mode? A knife would be a great thing to have if so. But what if the simulation turns into someone needing help and food is what they need? I hate simulations. It could literally be anything. For some reason my mind is telling to choose the cheese. Honestly, I love cheese and that is all the motivation I need. I pick up the cheese and the table quickly begins to fade away.