Blister in the Snow

can you hear me

-

The microwave beeped, numbers flashing on the small screen of the machine. With a click, it flung open with Suitcase holding a bowl within her palms, setting it down in front of Balloon whilst he sat down in a chair at the table. Balloon gave Suitcase a small, gentle smile as she returned the smile.

" Well? Go on, you gotta put something in your stomach. It's not good to skip lunch. "
Suitcase hummed, moving to a bowl filled with bright colored fruits. Holding an apple.

Balloon gave her a curious look, furrowing their eyebrows.
" Lunch? It's not morning? What time is it? "

" Uhm, " Suitcase glanced over to the stove, staring at the green numbers. " It's 1 pm, why? "

Balloon felt a tinge of embarrassment rise up their spine, rubbing their face and groaned.
" Oh.. god I over slept again- "

" Again? " Suitcase asked.

" Yeah.. I've been oversleeping a lot recently, I keep forgetting to make an alarm.. " Balloon uttered a sigh before holding a spoon and began to eat the warm tangy soup. Cringing at the bitterness.

" Well.. When do you usually sleep? Hm? " Suitcase bit into the Apple, crunching, hee teeth sunk into the bright crimson red sweetness.
Balloon paused in thought, thinking about last night. How They pushed themselves into bed right after the incident with Trophy. Though they couldn't recall what time they slept, they knew that it was near there afternoon.

" Probably like — er- 8? I go to sleep really early usually. "

Suitcase flashed them a surprise look, " I'm sorry - 8? "

" .. yeah. " Balloon looked away, their cheeks warming up from embarrassment.

" .. Well, why not let me wake you up? " Suitcase said with a cherry tone, " I wake up pretty early, so I wouldn't mind checking in on you ! "
Balloon turned to suitcase with pity.

" Oh— no no you don't have to.. " Balloon frowned.

" Oh but I want to! That's what friends are for, right? " She playfully nudged them with her hip, grinning.
Balloon felt their heart warm at the sound of 'friend', of course, She's called them friend plenty of times. But, they had to admit, they needed to hear it again after a long time of isolation. Their eyes softened and giggled at her.

" Thanks, Suitcase. I love you. " Balloon hummed.

" I love you too, now, I gotta go run and speak with Lightbulb, she's been wanting to do scrap journaling with me! If you want — I can show you after! "

" You what I would like that! " Balloon beamed, Suitcase gave them a small side hug before moving out of the kitchen, heels of her black shiny Mary Jane's clicking the tiles of the polished kitchen floor.
Balloon now sat alone in the kitchen, sitting in the chair, at the table. Alone.
Balloon stared at the soup as their reflection stared back. They continued to eat their food, not enjoying the silence. It was too quiet. Everyone was either in their rooms, at their jobs, etc. No one was uttering a single word for they were no where to be seen.

at the same time, they enjoyed how quiet it was.
it was a change, a difference from what they usually experienced. Before they were welcomed back into the hotel, they were at a homeless shelter. It was noisy, it was claustrophobic, it was overwhelming. And of course, the hotel wasn't any different, noisy, claustrophobic, and overwhelming. But how it would be quiet it can suddenly be in an instant. They loved it. No screaming, no bickering. Just them, themselves. No one to bother them. Or hurt them. They were in their own bubble.
Like a cage of comfort.
But that was only until a sudden burst of laughter from the corner made them jolt in surprise.