Chapter 5

Emily and Morgan walked quietly down the school hallway. Her next class had already started, and Emily felt slightly guilty about missing it. The library buzzed with students, and, as predicted, Leslie's class was there working on their projects. The minute Emily and Morgan walked in, a murmuring hush swept over the room. People whispered to each other and stole glances at Morgan as he passed by them. Leslie was among them. "You will tell me everything," she mouthed as Emily and Morgan walked past her.

"Don't you have class?" Ms. Flora, the librarian, inquired of Emily and Morgan when she saw them.

"We have a special project for chemistry to work on," said Morgan. "Mr. Fuller should have emailed you about this." Emily noticed something pass in front of Ms. Flora's gaze. She looked dazed for a moment, then glanced at her computer screen and said in a confused tone:

"Oh yes, there's the email. He booked the private room for you in the back. Room 5," she said and pointed towards the back of the library.

Morgan and Emily walked to their room in silence. The minute they were alone, Emily asked,

"How did you do that? There was obviously no special project from Mr. Fuller."

"I can be very persuasive, Emily. Now, have a seat," he looked the girl in the eyes, and Emily felt a wave of intensity. She felt compelled to do what Morgan told her, no matter how dangerous or ridiculous the request. The minute Morgan broke eye contact with her, the intensity ended, and Emily once again felt in control.

"That was strange," she murmured, feeling confused.

"You know what's strange? A small mortal girl meddling in the business of gods," said Morgan, his anger palpably altering the atmosphere in their small study room.

"What?" Emily said incredulously.

"How's Sam doing?" asked Morgan with a sneer that indicated disgust, hurt, and loathing all at once.

"The cat?" Emily couldn't keep up with Morgan's train of thought. At this stage, she was convinced that she was speaking with a madman.

"Yes, the kitty cat... convenient disguise. He can be sweet and innocent, but a coward is still a coward. He is using you and your family as a shield. I hope you know that," spat out Morgan. His voice was menacing, almost a growl. Emily recognized the timber and pace of his tone as his words washed over her. She knew him, but her rational mind fought against the thoughts and images of the large wolf that now often stalked her property.

"This is crazy! Sam is just a cat!" she said in protest, but her words came out quiet, uncertain.

"Yes, and I am just a human. Look deeper, Emily. I can see that you have figured it out," he said as the features of his face distorted and his smile appeared to grow wider. His eyes glowed yellow, the same yellow that Emily saw before—piercing, hungry. "I have no motivation to lie to you. I am here to warn you. Don't meddle!" he spat out the last part with such ferocity that it sounded almost like a thundering bark.

"What are you?" asked Emily, suddenly noticing that her back was towards the wall and she had no point of escape.

"That doesn't matter," said Morgan. "Enough to say that I am not someone you want to mess with." He said these last words confidently, almost smugly.

Emily was terrified, but curiosity compelled her. She realized that to get Morgan talking about himself, she needed to ask questions about Sam.

"What is Sam?" Emily asked, gaining some of her confidence back.

"A trickster, son of an old god that refuses to die," said Morgan angrily. "You don't get to ask questions here!" said Morgan abruptly.

"So you brought me here to yell at me?" Emily stood up from her chair and started to slowly walk towards the door, ready to bolt as soon as possible.

"Look, I know I get a little heated talking about this, but I don't mean you any harm," said Morgan calmly. "As long as you don't get in my way," he added after a short pause.

"I have no intention of getting in your way," said Emily quietly. "In fact, I am trying my best to leave."

Morgan stood back and opened the door for Emily, inviting her to walk through.

"This isn't your fight," he said quietly as she walked past him, "but you and your family will be the victims if you don't stay out of it."

Emily was left exhausted after this encounter. She decided that the best thing to do was to go home. This way she would avoid lunch with Leslie, who, Emily was sure, would have a lot of questions. Emily went to the school's office and called her mom at work.

"Hi mom, I am not feeling too good. I think I'll go home," she said when she heard her mom pick up the phone on the other side.
"Is everything okay? Do you want me to come get you?" Emily's mom asked.
"It's just a headache, I am okay to drive," said the girl.
"Okay, text me when you get home," said Emily's mom.

The school secretary - and elderly Mrs. Brown - signed the girl out and Emily was on her way through the school's double doors and out into the snowy afternoon.

As she walked through the parking lot towards her car she heard a heavy footfalls steadily progressing towards her from. Emily looked back and saw the wolf.

Against the heavy overcast sky of a winter day, he emerged from the shadows. His fur as dark as the ominous clouds overhead. The falling snow intensified the predatory aura surrounding this menacing creature. Its yellow eyes, like glimmering orbs, cut through the wintry gloom.

With each calculated step, the wolf left behind an impression in the snow, a chilling testament to its predatory prowess. The snowfall seemed to dance eerily around him, as if nature itself recognized the untamed power within. He walked closer to Emily. He walked with determination, his expression calm but focused.

Emily's heart pounded. She fumbled for her keys and lost grip on her bag. Her car was still several rows ahead. She tried to run but slipped and fell feeling the gravel cutting into the palms of her hands as she braced her fall. The wolf was on top of her in minutes. She could smell his breath, the melting snow on his fur. He smelled of decaying leaves and pine.

I don't want to hurt you - a low growling voice echoed inside Emily's head. Remember our talk, don't get in the way. With that the wolf slowly padded away. He took large strides and within seconds was at the edge of the tree line.

Emily felt shaky as she drove home. She was reliving the events at school - conversation with Morgan and the giant wolf in the parking lot. Thoughts swirled in her mind like bees - buzzing around with countless "what ifs," and "what was thats." She didn't notice how she got home, but suddenly her car was parked in her driveway. Instinctually, she texted her mom that she made it back safe, turned off the car and stepped outside. The snow continued to fall. Large flakes danced in the air against the dark grey sky. As Emily started to walk towards her front door, she saw Sam. He quietly sat on her porch and looked intently at her every movement. As she got closer? The cat stood up, walked slowly past her and continued towards the forest.

Follow me, words echoed in Emily's mind and just as before, she felt compelled to follow.