Chapter Six: Back to the Past

While Sweets and I were in the middle of some paperwork, we were both interrupted by Sweets' phone ringing.

It was Booth.

"Hey, Sweets, I need a psycho-analysis on this case Bones and I are working on. I'm sending you the file now."

We paused for a moment while I checked Sweets' email to find the document.

"Okay, so the first victim was Sarah Whyller. She was in the class of '94, and she was killed right before the reunion of her class. Sweets, come over here and check this out." 

He quickly came over to the laptop and read the file.

"So, Booth, Ray Buxley was the prime suspect in '94? He lives alone, has a low-status job, and spends all day working around teen-aged girls," Sweets thought for a moment, "Not to mention that he also notably had an obsession with gruesome crime stories. He gives me a creepy vibe."

"We'll go check him out, then. They didn't have enough evidence in the first time around, but maybe we'll get somewhere this time."

"Wait, Booth," Sweets interrupted, "Is it true that the high school you're investigating is the same high school that Brennan went to?"

Booth let out a breathy laugh. "Yeah! Apparently she's always been brutally honest and obsessed with murder. Her classmates didn't seem to like her much. Not that I'm surprised."

Sweets and I made eye contact, as a way of silently conveying that we weren't too shocked either.

It was nice having people you can have entire understandings with even with only a little eye contact.

"Cool," they both mumbled before exiting out of the video-chat app.

...

After Sweets and I had finished the paperwork, I decided to pay the crew a visit on the murder stand. 

To be honest, I'm not sure what it's really supposed to be called, but all I know is that it's the platform where the scientists look at the dead body in order to find clues. 

I looked up to see Angela and Hodgins up on the murder stand, and then I swiped my entrance card, and came to greet my new friends.

"Hey, guys!" Angela and Hodgins looked up from the body.

"Hey! Alex. How are you doing?" Angela and I hugged.

"I'm doing pretty well, I just figured I should get out and get some air after being hunched over a desk for so long. After too long, words can start to just look like a jumbled mess."

Hodgins chuckled. "Dude! Yeah. I don't think I could do it. All of that office time, and hardly any time out on the field."

"That's why it's a good thing that she has us, obviously. So, how did Aaina's date go? Did you like her friend?" Angela winked at me. 

"I actually really liked Leslie. She was nice, and interesting. She's a sporty-type. And they seemed to get along well."

"I feel a but coming on," Hodgins intervened.

"What's wrong with her?" Angela questioned.

I took a deep breath. "It's not that there's anything wrong with her, it's just that," I sighed, "she's my best friend."

"And?" Angela had a knowing look on her face, like she knew how I felt but she wanted me to have to figure it out for myself.

"Have you guys ever been in big relationships? Like, ones which have the potential to be long-term?"