Chapter Three: Play it Cool

After making my way back to the apartment, I opened the door to see Aaina at the table. Her head was down so I couldn't really see her face.

I took a few steps and I peeked in at her to see that she fallen asleep while working on a large pile of paperwork. I tiptoed around her, careful to not wake her up. Aaina's a light sleeper; one heavy step and she'll wake up. She doesn't get much rest with her busy schedule, so I try my best to keep her asleep. 

All I wanted was a snack before I went to my room to chill out.

I started to tiptoe again, toward the cupboard. I grabbed a bowl and looked back at Aaina to see that she was still asleep. Thank God. 

*clash*

The bowl that was in my hand fell out and onto the floor, shattering into pieces and waking Aaina up. 

She looked up at me, looked down at the ground, and rolled her eyes.

"What grace you have," Aaina mumbled with a sarcastic tone as she rubbed her temples.

 She came over to me and helped me pick up the pieces as we threw them in the trash.

"So how was work Xannie?"

I grinned eagerly. "Oh my gosh it was amazing! I met people and guess what?! I'm gonna have drinks with them tonight. Sweets is picking me up in half an hour." 

Both of us stood up now. 

"Good! I'm glad that you made friends. And half an hour? We need to start getting you ready now, what are you going to wear?"

Aaina took my hand and pulled me into her room to pick out something to wear.

"Actually, I was, uh, gonna just wear this..."

She rolled her eyes. "No, that is unacceptable," She laughed and pushed me into the bed, "let me pick out something for you, alright?"

I groaned. "Alright."

She went into the closet, and came out with two things: a striped mini skirt and a black cropped sweater. 

Aaina held them up to my body, examining the colors. She placed the skirt on her bed and motioned for me to put it on, and then shook her head at the sweater, going back into the closet to find something else.

Aaina came back out with a flowy tank top and black heels. "That's much better. Put this outfit on, and then we'll do your makeup."

I suddenly remembered that Sweets invited Aaina to the gathering as well. "Hey A, Sweets also said that you could come if you wanted to. Ya know, to meet everyone and everything. I think it'll be cool for you to meet the gang, plus, you've been super stressed lately and you kinda need to unwind. If you want."

She bit her lip and looked up at me. "I'd love to, and I'll meet them later, but I just can't right now. I've got tons to do with school and such, plus I think it'll be really good for you to have some more time to get to know them personally before I get into the picture.  Maybe some other time?" 

I nodded. "That's totally fine, I just thought I should ask."

Within minutes, Aaina had put together my outfit, hair, and makeup. 

I've never quite understood fashion, but Aaina sure does.

...

I heard a knock on the door, and I knew that it was Sweets. 

"Hey, Xandra!" He smiled.

I smiled back. "Hey, Sweets, this is Aaina, and Aaina, this is Sweets."