Chapter Five: Exploring Heritage

"Love," Aaina's light and colorful voice was always something I loved to hear in the morning, "what exactly are you doing? Sweetheart, you look like you're going to hurt yourself."

"Yoga," I answered proudly, "see? I can be sporty too."

"Yoga isn't really a sport, love, but whatever makes you happy. Leslie's coming over at seven, and I'm going to be making biryani and momos for dinner."

"Yes!" I yelled before crashing onto the mat, "I love it when you make biryani and momos for dinner. In fact, I love it when you introduce me to any aspect of your Indian heritage. It makes me feel, hmm, cultured."

Biryani is a spiced rice dish that's usually cooked with several spices, like saffron, and a marinated meat chopped up into pieces and mixed through. Aaina usually makes it with chicken, since she doesn't eat the meat from cows. It's one of my favorite meals, honestly. 

Aaina always warms us up with momos before the main course of biryani. Momos are basically Indian dumplings. They're my favorite part. 

"I'm happy that you're excited for dinner, Xannie," Aaina smiled, "and are you still excited to meet Leslie? I want you to know that it's totally okay if you're not."

"Of course I am! My best friend in the whole wide world likes someone, and so I just know that I'm going to like them too."

I got up from my failed yoga position. Yoga would probably be a lot more fun if I were more coordinated.

She giggled. "I'm glad you feel that way, Xannie. Now I've got to go to work, I'm signed on for a heart transplant today and so I've got to stay focused. Only text me during work if it's really important, alright? I love you, and make sure that you wash the dishes so that the kitchen doesn't look messy. Alright? I've got to go, bye." She kissed me on the forehead and left. 

...

I've got the whole apartment to myself today.

What to do, what to do.

...

After washing all of the dishes, it was still only ten o'clock. I figured that I might as well go out and do something.

I wanted to see the people from work. I knew that at least Brennan or Zack or someone would be at the Jeffersonian. But I didn't want them to think that I'm desperate to have some new friends. Although I totally am. But I didn't want them to think that I was. 

So, I decided to go to another one of the team's favorite places: Founding Fathers.

I figured that I had approximately a 50/50 chance of seeing one of them there, and even if I didn't see any of them there, I could still get some food. I'm starving.

...

After making my way to the restaurant, I decided to sit down and look around to see if anyone was there. 

Nope. 

I was a little disappointed, to be honest, but that's okay. I'll stuff my disappointment with fries and I'll be just fine.

Wait, I think that's... Yeah, I'm pretty sure that is-

"Hello," Brennan said.

"Hi!" I said. I immediately regretted my eagerness. Xandra, don't make yourself seem desperate...

"May I sit at this table with you?"

"Yes, of course! You can absolutely sit with me." Again, try not to seem so eager. 

She immediately sat down and pulled out her laptop. She seemed to be doing some research.

Should I start talking? Should I try to make small talk with her? Oh my gosh, I have no idea what to say at all. What am I supposed to do in this kind of situation?