Chapter 12

Narrator PoV

That was something that happened when Rex and Famin was walking down a hallway together with some subordinates.

''I sense small amounts of mana. The artifact must be close.'' 

A very strange phenomenon befell them while they were searching for the artifact.

Rex's subordinate, who was walking ahead of him, suddenly vanished.

"Hah?" Unable to comprehend what had just happened, Rex looks all around, but there is nothing that looks out of place.

''Our guests are really interesting... Ahh~ I can't wait to hear them scream!'' Famin has a crazy grin on his face as he look like a madman.

Famin didn't mind at all that their subordinate disappeared because he didn't care about them at all.

The only thing that could give a clue is the noise that sounds like a bone cracking.

''Famin-san, shouldn't we be more worried about this?'' While he's on guard, he asks his superior.

''But that's exactly what's exciting. If you're constantly hunting small fish, you'll get bored. And now we have some decent prey to hunt. We should enjoy as much as possible before killing them.'' He answers, his face still having the look of a psychopath.

Both use mana to fortify their vision and see things even at inhuman speeds.

And then. The subordinate next to Rex disappears.

But this time Rex could barely see it while Famin could see it clearly. It is the figure of a teenage boy wearing the academy uniform, covered in blood.

He had knocked out that subordinate with the heel of his palm, then whisked that subordinate away.

Rex was only barely able to see all that by fortify his eyes to the very limit and concentrating. That's how fast it was. But Famin is on a completely different level than Rex and could see clearly and just grinned at the black haired boy who passed them.

"Be careful, we're under attack!" So shouting, Rex vigilantly scans his surroundings. ''Huh?'' But he is immediately rendered dumbstruck.

The other subordinates who should have followed him and Famin are no longer there. And even Famin was no longer next to him.

Before he knew it, he had apparently become the only person standing in that long hallway.

*Shwoom Shwoom*

As soon as that sound reaches his ears, Rex protects his heart with everything ounce of his strength.

"Kuh...!" An enormous force slams into Rex's arm. Along with the hair-raising sound of bones breaking, Rex is thrown backwards with great momentum.

"Kuh... FUCKER!" He shouted angrily with a sour look. He manages to immediately get back on his feet and draw his sword.

However, there is no one in front of him.

Then, with a single attack, his right arm, which was even protected with mana, was broken. If his guard had not made it in time, his heart would have been pulverized for sure.

*Shwoom*

This time, Rex moves at the same time as the sound. Relying on pure intuition, he swings his sword towards the presence at his back. The timing is perfect.

However.