Prologue.

Part 1.

Omniscient POV

"Ari I don't even know them people man," Patience groaned as they laid across her bed while her best friend, Ari, begged her to come to this cookout that she was going to.

"I still can't believe you gave Rome stupidass a chance, I been telling you yah would be cute, now he inviting you to the family cookout you just need to listen to me forever." She said.

"Girl whatever, he be around too many girls but after getting to know him I don't know..." She trailed off and patience just smiled at her friend.

Arielle was only ever in one relationship and it was with the first boy she met when they first started middle school. The relationship soon turned into an unhealthy situation, young and all. They were obsessed with each other which made them overly jealous. Patience hated him and was glad when her friend finally washed her hands with him about a month ago after almost three years. Especially since high school was in a few months.

"Anybody after Zay ass is good wit me." She rolled her eyes.

"So you gone come?" She asked again. "I already asked him and he said you was welcome to come." She added.

"You not gone leave me alone so I guess I'll be there, let me go ask my mama and daddy first tho." She got up and Ari followed her to the kitchen where her parents were.

"Let my mama breathe dang," Patience mugged as her daddy flicked her off making her mama laugh. "This yo woman or my woman?" He pushed her head and she swatted his hand away.

"Mine." She said simply and her mom just shook her head at the two as they started their usual bickering over her.

"Leave my baby alone, wassup pooh?" Ashanti asked her daughter.

"I wanted to ask yall if I could go to this graduation cookout with Ari Saturday, and yall can say no I promise.." She gave them a look making Ari kiss her teeth.

"Who cookout and where?" Quincy asked.

"Our friend from school, Roman Cassidy, and he live about 5 minutes from here." She answered.

"Oh that's Ro li boy," He said to Ashanti and she nodded.

"If ya daddy say its fine I don't care but you gone send us both the parents numbers, the address, the time it start and end, and who besides family gone be there," she said before telling everybody she was about to run to the store.

"Can I go daddy?"

"You can go, but ion want no bullshit out of either of yall, hear me? Yah know how to carry yaselves and yah know what not to do so let me hear some Ion like." He pointed and they both nodded.

Saturday- Day of the cookout

"It's hot as fuck man, they love to have the kids outside." Ari fanned herself with a plate while Patience played spades on her phone, singing along to the music they were playing.

"And this my damn party, how the fuck I get put outside?" Rome scrunched his face up, asking his cousins who just laughed.

"I'm glad you here tho, I ain't think you was coming I can't lie." He laughed and she smirked. "I'm not gone lie to you..." She trailed off and he just shook his head.