Unseen Battles: Veena's Triumph

The night passed, the day came, the day passed, and the night came; and in this manner, a month elapsed since the day she was transformed into a noblewoman, towards whom the compassionate minister of the Kingdom had taken pity. Veena has heard it repeatedly, whether from the maid who serves in their house or from the whispers behind her back whenever she goes anywhere. Minister Vinaay hasn't returned since he left her on the day after their wedding. He left her with the maids and money, instructing her to manage the house and budget.

It was a nice morning. Veena left her bed and cleaned it before making her way to the bath corner in the house to freshen up for the day. She was the first to wake up, even before the maids. Veena took her shawl, wrapped it around her petite body, and went for a stroll in the garden. The chill wind of early morning brushed against her face. The silence and the dead atmosphere around her resembled her own state of heart. She found her place to sit just below a big mango tree. She didn't realize how long she had been sitting there until the first ray of sunlight hit her face, and the loud clatter of chaos started to come from the kitchen.

"Maalkin (A word used by employees of house to address their female employer)" she heard and look behind to the small five feet woman with her brow raised.

"Haan bolo (Yes speak)" She asked and started to rose up from her place on ground.

"The vegetable stock has finished, We need to go and buy some" The maid said, Veena thought for a minute before nodding her head and making her way inside the house with the maid trailing behind her.

"You all, please continue with your tasks. I'll be fetching vegetables from the market today," she spoke softly before gently closing the door behind her. After changing into more appropriate attire, her eyes were drawn to the box of vermilion and the bridal chain she had left on the dressing table earlier that morning. She gazed at them for a moment before taking the bridal chain and adorning it around her neck, followed by a touch of vermilion in her hairline.

Her eyes met her reflection in the mirror, and the vermilion and mangalsutra transformed her appearance. She couldn't help but marvel at how a mere pinch of sindoor and the mangalsutra made her look like a mature woman. However, her thoughts soon shifted to her marriage, the absence of her husband, and the admiration in her eyes waned. She shook her head slightly, attempting to break free from her introspective reverie.

Fetching some coins from the bag Minister Vinaay had given her before leaving, she headed out of the house with a basket in hand.

________________

Upon reaching the market, she first visited the small grocery store, selecting salt and turmeric as requested by the cook. Lost in her thoughts, she moved to another shop with deliberate steps, purchasing wheat flour and lentils, diligently ticking off items from her mental list. This routine continued until she reached the vegetable shop, a place she had been a loyal customer of since her childhood. she passed a smile towards the old woman on another side who look at her with disgust and send a murderous glare on her way.

"Kaki, I will take two kg of potato and one kg of ladyfinger" despite the hateful glare thrown on her way Veena said politely with a smile.

"I don't sell my vegetables to the woman like you" The old woman on another side said it loud enough to all passerby to hear, they all stopped on their way and look at the woman who was being addressed as the 'woman like you' "Woman like you are disgrace to our society, Go back, there is nothing here for you" Veena grew uncomfortable and look around only to find everyone's attention on her, she lowered down her gaze so that the people around her cannot see the tears in her eyes and started to leave from there.