Chapter 3

【☆】★【☆】

╔═*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*═╗

NOTE

I changed the name of Joohyuk into Heeseung ( Jungkook's brother ). Hope you won't get confused! Imagine him as Lee Heeseung from Enhypen.

Enjoy!

╚═*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*═╝

< play fine line ☝🏻 >

As the day gradually warms up, the gentle touch of sunlight spills through the windows of the café, filling me up with the sense of security and warmth. Yet, amidst this coziness, it feels as though heavy boulders are resting on my chest. Opening up with someone is not an easy task, its's like you let them see how lonely and scarred you are inside, that's how I feel in this moment. How much can you open up to a person?

The minute I saw Taehyung's eyes halting from shock, a small part of me felt ashamed, as if whatever I had shared should have been kept locked away in a box of secrets. In his warm, brown coffee eyes, I could witness the rapid waves of emotions shifting in mere seconds – hurt, shock, helplessness all together.

"Nina, I'm so sorry" he said. It hurt; he didn't have to be sorry. The only person who truly needed to apologize was my dad.

"It's okay, it cannot be helped" I replied. His eyes widened even more than before, and my gaze shifted to the coffee in front of me.

"The intention of hurting you is bad enough!"

I wanted to tell him to keep his voice down, but he wasn't really being loud. I was the anxious one. I was falling apart. I was ashamed, and I didn't understand why. Maybe just because everyone saw and thought of my dad as a respectable cop back in the old days, it left me with an impression of forever being perfect, even if it wasn't like that.

My Father always used to say that my family's dirt was my dirt too. With Taehyung, my best friend, I could lower my guard, reassured that there was no need for shame. Yet, anxiety gripped me tightly-fear of being seen as rotten or just broken. It wasn't about what he thought of me; Taehyung didn't care. He only wanted to keep me safe. The way his eyes were holding me felt like my inner child being cradled in his arms, sobbing uncontrollably.

Silence filled the air between us, he was waiting for my response, but I found myself unable to utter a single word. A deep sigh escaped my lips, and I ran my hands through my hair, searching for the right words.

"I honestly don't know; I'll do my best not to be a burden to you," my answer sounded like a whisper. In that moment, reality slapped me across the face. Staying with him was the issue.

"Burden? Are you serious right now?" he responded, disappointment coloring his voice, as if he thought, "Is this how you know me?"

No.