Baby Alpha

“Who the hell’s calling you? Everyone important is already here.”

Scott doesn’t know why Peter looks so offended when it’s her friends he’s hating on—so jealous of her already having the pack that he thinks he deserves. Maybe once he did deserve it, before he turned on his own pack and family.

Now, however, Scott is barely acknowledging the psychotic old wolf as she answers her phone and turns her back on him instead.

Derek smirks to himself upon seeing Peter bristle and glare at Scott—he knows the idiot is probably (ridiculously) trying to make a move against her, only to have his Beta ass instinctively override his egotistical desires.

Oblivious, Scott scowls when she sees there’s no caller ID on the flashing screen of her phone. That’s never a good sign. She sighs, answers anyway, “Hello?”

“Ah, Scott, good. Hello.”

Scott’s eyes narrow slightly, but her shoulders relax when asking, “How’d you get this number?”

“I...may...have stolen your phone. Apologies, but no longer being an Alpha or being without a pack, I’m not as safe as I once was and–“

“You wanna join my pack now?” Scott laughs breathily, almost amused, if she wasn’t kind of surprised.

“I do, yes. If you’ll have me, of course.”

Derek can’t help the low growl that he lets slip, no more than Peter can contain his angry retort, “Tell him you’re not interested!”

Derek arches a brow at his uncle’s demanding tone. And as always, he wholly impressed with the young she wolf’s self control when she merely arches a brow at the elder wolf.

Peter huffs, takes a single step back in submission. Though, he doesn’t lower his eyes, because he means it when he says, “None of us want him in our pack.”

Derek holds in the scoff Scott easily lets out then when she turns on him and spits back, “None of us want you in our pack.”

Peter blinks, looks shocked–though, Scott can’t think why he should even have the nerve to be.

Derek hides another smirk as he turns to face the giant window of his loft.

Peter folds his arms over his chest and begins to sulk when Teen Stupid Alpha has the audacity to turn her back on him again.

Scott sighs tiredly just as Deucalion says, “I would be a Beta, rather than Omega, but I can act as your secret ally. I was actually hoping to keep a low profile from now on.”

Scott ignores Peter’s little scoff. “So, you want my protection, but you don’t actually wanna join my pack?” She’s just asking to understand what he’s actually asking here.

“Yes. But that won’t mean I’ll be out of reach. You would be my Alpha after all, so, I would still be here whenever you need me. I just don’t think it’s a good idea to be one of your inner circle, do you?”

Scott pauses for a moment, because a little secret she’s kept to herself, she’s already accepted Deucalion as one of her pack, which is why she’s surprised to feel the genuineness behind his words. She takes a breath, turns to Derek, who feels her eyes on him and turns to face her.

Derek frowns, confusion almost hitting until he takes in the look she’s giving him. He gulps, because...because she’s asking his permission here. Like he’s her second in command or something. Surely that’s Stiles, right? As much as it pains Derek, Stiles always pulls through, no matter what. Derek has let Scott and the others down almost as much as Peter has.