How Very Alpha

“You kissed Kira? That’s great!” Stiles really has a fine talent for putting his own feet in his mouth–hearing a dreary sigh from the other end of the line, he winces and says, “You guys like each other. You should totally forget about sour-wolf. He’s an idiot anyway.”

Scott scoffs. “Or he just doesn’t wanna go out with high school children, which, he actually totally gets cookie points for.”

Stiles’ eyes narrow with suspicion as he says, “I feel like something happened between the two of you after I left you at the loft with him the other night.” He laughs bitterly. “Which is ridiculous, because I know you’d never not tell me anything. I mean, you text me whenever they introduce a new flavour of Pop Tart.” His tone is sarcastic, but his words are deadly serious, “So, I’m sure you’d tell me if something happened between you and the guy you’re secretly in love with...”

There’s a pause and Stiles is sure she’s shooting him a withered glare right now.

“It’s fine. Don’t worry about me. I still have Lydia and Malia to talk to. Guess I’ll have Kira, too, if you don’t really want her.”

“Are you done? Scott snips.

Stiles grins, tells her, “No, but rain check, slut.”

Scott scoffs quietly, but thankfully for Stiles, neither of them have time right now as Scott asks, “Is your dad already at the hospital?”

“Yeah.” Stiles nods to himself as he grips the steering wheel to turn the next street corner. “I’m on my way back there now. Derek is gonna meet me there. I told them both what happened, but obviously I didn’t mention Liam.”

Scott lets out a breath (not of relief, mainly just to try to calm herself.) “OK. Thanks. Meet me back at my house when you’re done, please?”

“Absolutely. I’ll text you when I’m on my way.”

“OK.”

“Oh, and Scott?”

“Yeah?”

“Stop beating yourself up. You saved that kid’s life tonight.”

Scott scoffs weakly, says, “We both know the bite could have easily killed him. It still could. So, far we’ve been lucky.”

“Eh, that literally might as well be both our middle names by now.”

Scott manages a tiny chuckle, but as always, Stiles still counts it as a win for her brooding do-gooder ass.

¤
Stiles doesn’t know how he gets away with lying to Derek (of all people; wolves), but he expects it comes from his desire to keep Scotty out of trouble. It may also have something to do with him being in total Detective Stilinksi (Jr.) Mode...

While his dad is busy still questioning witnesses to make sure there are no witnesses, Stiles leads Derek up onto the roof of the hospital, where Parrish and a whole bunch of other cops are poking around. He thanks God briefly for them not being forensic experts as he walks over to Parrish with Derek in toe.

“Can we get everyone off the roof for ten minutes?” Stiles asks the Deputy.

Parrish glances curiously at Derek, then, smiles and nods at Stiles. He turns around, whistles loudly to get their attention before signalling the other cops away.

“Thanks.” Stiles says, “Oh, and see if you can stall the M.E for that long, please? Derek here introduced my dad and I to an expert he’s good friends with.”

Derek fights back his smirk, smiling politely and nodding instead when the Deputy looks at him again.

Parrish glances between the two, both amused and slightly disturbed as he asks, “So, this person is an expert on teenage cannibals?”