1. The begining

Mihawk was 10 when he ran away from his home without much grief and frustration. He was abnormally calm for a young child and was able to live on his own as long as he could until he stumbled into the witch's wood. He was taken shelter inside a cave from the heavy rain, then the witch found him.

She could have penalised him for intruding her forest, Mihawk knew she would by the look on her face, and people rumored that witches always kidnapped and feasted on children. Mihawk would be lying if he said he wasn't afraid of her but he knew well not to show it. After all, he had been surviving until now with some tricks under his sleeves.

To his surprise, the witch just asked if he wanted to stay at her place. It came with a price of course.

" I shall be thy mentor and caretaker. Thou may learn as much as thee want until thou reach thy adulthood and leave. " The witch offered.

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch, was the first lesson Mihawk's learnt so instead of accepting the witch's offer immediately, he asked.

"What do I have to pay?"

The witch seemed pleased with his sharp mind, not many children of his age are well aware of danger around them. Or perhaps any child who had suffered illed fate would develop that level of caution.

"Thou shall know until the time comes. Agree or not, the choice is thine."

Even though Mihawk seemed to be more mature than other children of his age, there was no possible way he could survive alone without getting his hands dirty. He wouldn't mind, yes, but if he had a choice to live a better life, he would definitely take it. In the end, he was just a mere child.

"I'll follow you, mentor. My name is Dracule Mihawk."

He thought maybe living with a witch couldn't be worse than being a slave.

"I am Yidhra. I am a witch. Remember, thou art forbidden to speak of my name to other individuals."

Mihawk was adopted by a witch when he was 10 years old.

—---------

Mihawk was 13 when he learnt that he had feelings towards the witch that was beyond mentor and pupil relationship.

It was a forbidden, shameful and sinful feeling to have for someone who had taken care of him and taught him what he needed in his life due to standard morals. Should he fight between the heart and mind, deny this emotion or should he embrace it and confess with the witch? One of many lessons Yidhra ever taught him was to control his own emotion. If Mihawk ever wanted to master his swordsmanship, he must keep his head cold and let no feelings bother him, no hesitation in every swing of his blade.

The young boy knew it so well, at the same time he feared if he ever confessed his feelings to the witch, she might reject him. Moreover, their relationship could never be the same as before. The witch used to show lots of affection and liking towards him a few years ago, but she stopped doing so recently. Her mentorship stayed the same harsh and serious while she was getting more distance to him.

So many times Mihawk wondered if he ever did something wrong that led to this situation. He might hide his feelings but this was something he can ask, right?

"Thou shall leave on thy own journey when thou reach thy adulthood, it is best if we hold no hard feelings and the goodbye shall be easier."

Mihawk tried not to grimace with displeasure but Yidhra knew him well, there is no point hiding from her.