Folach

folach = hideous in Irish

Cannibalism, gore, and blood are mentioned. Beware

Recommend reading this chapter with Until Dawn theme song :))

------------

It was born from the dark.

It was yet to know its name nor its purpose. So, it kept wandering in the woods aimlessly.

Its hideous and slender form scared any individual who dared to cross paths with it. Those poor souls would end up being nothing more than an appetite for the creature.

It was curious about everything and learned the information by devouring those solid vessels. Slowly, rumors were spread among humans about the creature that aggressively attacked any living things in sight, ripped them apart, and gorged every piece of their flesh and bone, leaving only a pile of blood that was once a living being. The humans couldn't help themselves but seek it, blaming their nature of curiosity despite how terrified they were of it. Some humans were trying to prove whether the creature was real or not, some others were so arrogant and tried hunting it. Whichever the reason, none of them were ever seen once again.

The creature wandered further and further, spreading its tales like a plague unintentionally. The residents were frightened but no one dared to stand up and fight it. They once asked for assistance from the Navy but the only response they received was a no and claimed it was just a rumor. No one had actually seen the creature and came back alive to prove its existence was not an illusion. The navy assumed the disappearance of people was an act of gangs and pirates, and refused to elaborate any further. That said, the residents were left living in fear and hiding for their lives, not knowing when the creature would come for them.

They were vulnerable and desperate with an unknown terror.

...

It was trapped, accidentally, by a large bear trap.

No humans had ever succeeded in bringing it down, let alone setting traps for it. The creature never knew such things as traps before, moreover, it never knew traps were meant to be hidden. The consequence was having its limb trapped between the sharp jaw as it howled in pain at the sudden impact and tried to destroy the trap which led to its limb suffering with broken bones, and scattered flesh. Still, the trap remained unflinching.

Although the creature was losing blood, it slowly paid not much attention to the bear trap anymore. It kept wandering, dragging the trap with it, and got used to the pain of its horrible wounds, stained the earth with its blood. Such a terrific scene to see a dreadful creature. Nevertheless, the creature was incredibly strong enough to be defeated by any man who wanted to take advantage of the situation.

—---

Days passed and turned to months, then months became years, the creature continued its path in the dark without a proper goal, and a broken limb was yet healed completely. The trap on its limb started to loose and weakened by the oxidation of meta, perhaps it would fall when the creature walked through tangled vines and peeled the trap off, or so it believed.

Soon the creature started to be impatient and more aggressive to its prey after a timeless wandering without knowing anything about itself. The information had yet satisfied it, likewise, it knew it could not continue this way since it had devoured too many humans and the navy couldn't ignore it anymore.

They started hunting it by the government's order, putting its legend down once and for all. Humans were always insecure about things that they did not understand or control, thus they decided to destroy them and their worries would be no longer. Said things were always easier than done, if the creature could be put down without a hitch, it would not become such terror back then. Additionally, as years passed, the creature was not the same as its old self. It had grown stronger and more fearsome than before, not to mention its aggression at the moment, the navy was no match for it. Undoubtedly, all the troops that were sent to neutralize the creature, were wiped out entirely. That's the price they had to pay for ignoring it so long ago.