Valentine's Day

The town's atmosphere today was more cheerful than usual, the signs of an event going to be held or similar. Yidhra thought while strolling down the town with Mihawk by her side, heading to the market, and watching people get excited running here and there. Most of them were female, and they all seemed to be buying something from the materials baking store, much to the witch's curiosity.

"Pardon me." Yidhra stopped a group of girls who passed by after leaving the store with paper bags in their hands. This caught Mihawk's attention "May I ask why all maidens go to the materials baking store?"

"You're the beautiful lady, owner of the plant shop!" The girls exclaimed as they recognized Yidhra with awe and excitement "Come on! You must try it yourself! Valentine's is near! Go get some cacao!"

"Valentine?"

"Yes! It's the day you make chocolate and give it to the one you love!"

After the girls disappeared at the end of the road, Yidhra turned her attention to Mihawk "Dalta, do thou have any ideas what the females art talking about?"

"A little, I'll be honest. They probably mentioned Valentine's Day, a day where people give each other chocolate to express their gratitude. The main ingredient to make chocolate is cacao flour. And—" The boy's cheek was seen with a suspicious shade of red as he uncertainly looked at the witch "—most of it, the girls would give their handmade chocolate to the boys they love."

"Is it on the female to make chocolate?"

"Y-yes, mentor. Well, males can do it as well but it's a rare scene. If they did, usually it would be for their friends or family."

"It sounds like a fun occasion." Yidhra chuckled at the idea and pulled Mihawk towards the store "Let's buy some of this cacao then."

"Eh?! Y-you want to make chocolate, mentor?"

"If it is a human's tradition to show gratitude to each other then why not? Not to mention, thou art the only pupil of mine, I see no harm in spoiling thee as much as I can."

Now Mihawk's cheeks were all flushed like a tomato. He had expected the reason Yidhra made chocolate was... the second, but perhaps he was only being paranoid. Because there was no way...... Ah. Forget it. Still, acknowledging the witch's affection for him was enough to send his heart to heaven. The little boy sighed, then he looked up to the witch "Can I join you too, mentor? Making chocolate."

"Oh? Thou want to give chocolate to someone as well?" Yidhra smiled with interest, making her pupil blush again.

"......Who else could it be but you." He mumbled quietly under his breath behind Yidhra.

...

In the end, they did buy the cacao along with the ingredients they needed for the next few days. Since it was the first time they made this chocolate kind of food, they both agreed to make it together with the recipe. Well, mostly the basic part because later Mihawk insisted on making a perfect one in secret himself which caused Yidhra to chuckle.

Both the mentor and the pupil knew how to cook so the kitchen didn't become a mess for someone making chocolate for the first time. Well, honestly, who could even turn the kitchen into hell just by making chocolate? Anyway, their first sample came out pretty good in shape, despite Mihawk's being too soft and easily broken while Yidhra's... well.

"Did you forget the sugar, mentor? It's too bitter!"

"So cacao originally tastes bitter."

"Yes. That's why the recipe has sugar as one of the main ingredients."