chapter four | christmas party embarrassment

IT WAS TRADITION to watch Christmas movies every day leading up to Christmas day. They watched one movie a night. On Christmas Eve, they watched two. They never knew why this tradition started, but they never dared to question it.

While snowflakes quickly fell outside, the two friends were inside watching Frosty the Snowman. Taylor sat on one end of the couch while Y/n lay on the other, resting her legs on top of Taylor's.

They watched the movie in silence, cups of hot chocolate in their hands. The movie ended, and then Y/n began to stretch and let out a yawn. "Should we break tradition and watch one more?" Taylor asked before putting a few pieces of popcorn in her mouth.

"You know, I'd love to, but I'm so tired." She replied as she stood up from her spot on the couch. She grabbed their dirty dishes and then went to the kitchen, soon putting them in the sink except for the popcorn bowl. She was going to eat the rest of it before she began cleaning the dishes. "Anyway, are you ready for Christmas?" She asked excitedly, soon seeing Taylor walk toward her.

"You have no idea how excited I am."

"I wanna know what you got me," Y/n spoke, pointing out the obvious. She always got super excited about gifts. She did love receiving them, but she loved giving them just a little more. It was seeing the smiles on people's faces that made it better.

"Too bad, you have to wait." She teased, soon letting out a giggle. Y/n laughed with her as she began to wash the dishes. Taylor smiled at the sound of Y/n's laugh; other than everything about her, that was something she loved about her. She could listen to her laugh all day if she could. "We're going to Olivia's party tomorrow, right?"

"I would think so unless you don't want to."

"I do; I was just making sure."

Y/n nodded in response. After a few minutes of silence, Taylor said a quick goodnight before going to her bedroom.

They walked into Olivia's house, soon to find the host of the party. Along the way, Y/n had said hello to people she had met while on tour with Taylor. A few of them are Gracie Abrams and Sabrina Carpenter.

The two ended up talking with Sabrina and Gracie for a while. They thanked Taylor for the opportunity to tour with her and asked Y/n about her job and favorite things. They wanted to get to know her better since they never got the chance to while on tour.

After some time, Taylor went with Y/n to chat with one of Olivia's friends, Sofia Wylie. Not too long after the conversation started, Olivia finally got around to chatting with the two. "My favorite couple is here!" She greeted them happily, soon pulling them into a hug.

"Still not in a relationship." Y/n reminded her with an awkward chuckle. When they pulled away from the hug, she saw the embarrassed look on Olivia's face. Maybe she should have left it alone just this once.

"Right, I'm sorry." Olivia was quick to apologize, but Taylor was the first to reassure her. She then changed the subject to talk about her upcoming tour for her album "Guts".

She was super excited for it. She had so many things planned. There might even be a few special guests. "We're so happy for you, Liv," Y/n said with a smile.

"I want you two there for the first night."

Y/n and Taylor looked at each other, questioning expressions on their faces. Would they have time for that? Y/n knew she could make time, but she wasn't sure if Taylor could. She knew how demanding her job could be.

That was when Taylor did the unexpected. "We'll be there." She replied happily as she turned to look at Olivia.

She never did this when Y/n tried to plan stuff for the two of them. What was different this time? She was just as busy now as she was at the time.

Is there a difference this time?

Y/n ended up leaving the party early and alone. The crowd was getting to be too much, plus she had to think about Taylor's recent actions. It was completely different from a year ago.

Something fishy was going on.

She sat on the couch, watching TV and eating her favorite chips, with a blanket wrapped around her. The episode of the show she was watching had ended, and then Taylor had walked in after wiping the snow off her boots. "Hey, how was the rest of the party?" Y/n asked curiously as she paused the episode that had just started.

"It would have been better with you there," Taylor admitted, soon letting out a sigh. She walked further into the living room and sat next to her best friend. "Does your stomach feel any better? I know you said it was hurting after Olivia left to talk to other people."

"Oh yeah, I'm good now. It turns out I was just hungry."

"Good. Now, you can tell me what's actually going on." Y/n looked at her with a confused expression. "You can't trick me; I'm the queen of tricks. Plus, I know you very well."

Taylor did know her very well. That was why they became best friends; they knew each other very well. They understood each other.

They loved each other.

"It's stupid, honestly," Y/n said, trying to avoid the subject. Taylor wouldn't let her, though; she was determined to get to the bottom of this. It took a few minutes, but Taylor finally got her to explain herself. "It's just that you couldn't do stuff with me when we were together because you said you were super busy, but now you have time for Olivia and everyone else. Like I said, it's stupid."

"When we broke up, I thought about it a lot, and you were right." She spoke honestly. She held onto Y/n's hand and continued her statement. "I've been making more time for things to prove to you that I won't stay busy all the time. I'm working on that for you."

"You're a good friend." Y/n smiled, soon receiving a grin from Taylor. Once Taylor was pulled into a hug, her smile dropped.

This was something they agreed on, but she didn't want to be just friends. She loved her too much.

————————
brooke speaks!

besties, i might go to
a job interview
tomorrow. i'm
NERVOUS. anyway,
i hope there's no
mistakes! 🤞