Chapter 9

Iris' POV

After closing the door, I grab my clothes to take a shower and head straight for the bathroom.

It's locked.

Well, I don't know where else to take a shower, so I knock on the door and wait. After a few seconds, the door opens and a girl who looked almost identical to the girl I saw earlier walked out, letting me in. I politely give her a thank you and enter the bathroom.

They must be twins.

Would God want me to have reacted the way I did? Couldn't I have politely said I really had to use the bathroom?

I sigh, asking God for His forgiveness and help.

Hopping in the glass shower, I turn on the water and instantly feel the painful bruise. Maybe it didn't hurt as much at the moment because of adrenaline or my thoughts distracting me, but it sure hurts now!

I quickly take a shower and wrap myself in a towel.

Then, I look through the cabinet, expecting to see medicinal creams of somewhat, but no. I see nothing. I scan the area more, touching it, and upon touching the right hand corner, a letter pass-code is revealed.

Feeling the urge to, I put my last name. And it opens. I see a yellow document folder and a gun. Scared of what I'd see, I quickly locked it back and shut the cabinet door. I put on my clothes and run into my room, trembling.

"Curiosity killed the cat."

His words rang in my head.

Inspecting my face on the mirror, I see the scar on my face, and due to the short pants, a portion of the scar on my thigh. Ignoring the pain in my shoulders from when I was pushed to the wall, I do some stretches.

Finally, after the stretches are over, I help myself to touring around the house. I had to find Lex's room somehow.

Then, I see her.

She walks up to me intently with cold daggers in her eyes of steel. Plastering a fake smile on her face, she says, "I saw you earlier. I just wanted to ask who you were and why you were here. I shouldn't have touched you. I'm sorry," she says, trying to seem genuine but failing miserably.

I reply with God's help, "No, it's my fault. I really had to use the bathroom and didn't think to be polite."

"But now that's over with, what's your name?", I inquire, wanting to change the topic.

"Iris", Lex says behind me, making me turn my head. "Come with me."

I stare at him, unflinching. Not knowing whether I should go with him, or continue my conversation. " I was...Is it oka-", I mutter, torn between what was the polite thing to do.

The girl does nothing to help me. She just stares.

Lex robs me of my decision by grabbing my hand and walking. I follow him, almost tripping over my own two feet, making sure to say sorry to the girl before leaving.

*

"She reminds me of your father," I say, when we reach a secluded room. Lex raises an eyebrow. "Elaborate further, please."

"She has this dangerous quietness about her. Whenever she's silent, she's observing something and taking mental notes," I say.

"Mmhm," he says in response with an... amused look on his face? "You're very receptive, Iris", he compliments.

Or is that a deadly weapon, in disguise that he'd put on display for his friends? I wonder...