Chapter 3

The first meal I had after leaving the house after a long time was a triple cheeseburger with a side of two large fries, a kids meal and a medium bottle of coke. Wasn't a fan of coke but I didn't mind having it.

I sat on the front of my car as I devoured my food in content as I watched the sunset on a nearby cliff on my way to my new place.

At the moment there was silence in my mind and everywhere. I wasn't thinking about anything and I was just living in the moment enjoying the peaceful surroundings.

My apartment is a two hour drive from here. I haven't been there before but Jacob checked it out for me and said it was a nice place. He is the only one I trust right now. I don't know how I can repay for helping me.

I booked a flight to Côte d'Ivoire three days ago. I haven't been there in a long time. I want to visit my aunt since I lost contact of her after I went to college and being with her reminds me of my mother even though they are quite different from each other. But I feel like it's the closest connection I can have with my mother since my aunt is her elder sister.

I always went to Côte d'Ivoire as a child atleast twice in a year to visit my grandparents and my aunt especially.

My mother lets only us stay with our aunt because the rest of the family just wants money and are overly nice to us to gain something in return.

I stopped by a hair salon before I headed to my new home.

The hair dresser was unsure with what to do with my hair. My hair was irreparably damaged due to years of perming and applying heat to my hair to make it straight. My natural hair grew out since I stopped applying anything to my hair. Today was the first day in months that I took a shower. I thank God I did because I smelled like hell threw up on me.

I could see her scrunch her nose as she examined my hair.

"Okay hon, what do you want me to do with it. We could do some touch ups to your roots and perhaps give you a little trim. I think we can..." she trailed off and I barely heard a thing. I was too distracted by my reflection in the mirror. I haven't look at myself in the mirror for a long time. I barely recognise my reflection. It felt so foreign. It was like I was looking at someone else.

When I got to my apartment, I was surprised. The place was huge. I wanted a modest one bedroom and one bathroom apartment but this was fairly nice as well. More than nice.

I liked the whole aesthetic of the place. The walls were light grey and had marble flooring with a bit of white in certain parts of the apartment but I'm glad the bathroom was bright and clean. I've always had a thing for a bright and clean bathroom. It makes me feel fresh and hygienic.

I immediately took a shower and felt good. I am definitely going to love this place.

I plan on finding a job when I come back from from my trip. Not doing anything has always driven me crazy. I want to put my degree to use. I didn't want it it to be like a waste.  Plus, I enjoyed the majoring in it. I want to have a normal life with a healthy work balance. Right now, that's what I have my mind set on right now. To earn Money and do whatever I want not having to answer to anyone. I had money that could last me a pretty long time but it didn't feel right for me to just depend on that. I want to make something out of myself and live for me.

I went to bed early, my mind running wild on the many scenarios of how my life will be from here and the many possibilities. I did my best to keep it on the positive side because I know this is the beginning of something good.

Finally, I was able to drift of to sleep with the thought of how the hell am I going to wake up at  2 am to catch my flight.

~~~