~Chapter Four~

Adrian exited the front door of the Belmont estate.   He let out a sigh that seemed to be one of deep sorrow.    

He looked up at the moon, with its mysterious silver glow.  The moonlight shone through his golden locks, onto his pallid face, and into those yellow eyes, making him look more like a vampire than a human.  

He looked around him; nobody was around.    He quickly transformed into a bat and began flying off into the distance, back to the castle where he was born and raised. 

Dracula's castle was quite labyrinthine and confusing.  Some of the towers defied the laws of physics because magic does indeed defy scientific explanations.  It seemed like a dark and lonesome place, where torchlight was Adrian's only warmth and comfort, but he knew that wasn't the case at all.   The castle had been upgraded and improved by magic, and now had electricity that could be used to charge phones, plug in computers and electronics, and even have an electric stove. 

When he entered the open window connected to his room, he transformed into his "human" form.   His room was neat and fancy with a bed against the wall, placed somewhat in the center of the room, with two nightstands on each side of it.  There were paintings and posters on the walls and a violin case against the wall. 

He sheathed his sword into its hilt and placed it on the wall.    

He quickly got out of his uniform and changed into a white t-shirt and a pair of black pants.   He also put on a pair of black boots. 

He looked into the mirror that sat on top of his dresser.  He noticed his hair was somewhat messy and began to brush it out.  He grabbed a hair elastic and tied his hair into a neat ponytail. 

He headed downstairs to the dining hall, where his mother likely ate dinner. 

As he approached the dining room, he could hear the clanking of silverware:  a sign that his mother was there. His father, being a vampire, did not need to consume human food.  Adrian could choose between blood or food, as he was a dhampir.  He chose food, as he found blood disgusting.

He entered the dining room and found his mother sitting at the table, eating dinner. 

Lisa Tepes was a lovely woman who bore a striking resemblance to her son. She had long blond hair, which she tied neatly into a ponytail on her shoulder. Her bright blue eyes shimmered like the ocean, and her plump red lips curved into a gentle smile, especially when she was with the people she deeply cared about. She wore a red T-shirt, black jeans, and red pumps.  In front of her, on the table, was a plate that contained a piece of chicken breast, mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli,  and gravy.  Next to the plate was a glass of wine, something she only had occasionally. 

Lisa smiled at her son.  She often bragged to her co-workers about how well-behaved her son was. 

"Welcome home, dear," She beamed, "How was school?" 

Adrian didn't seem to want to talk about school. "It was fine.  I need to speak with Father," he said very earnestly. 

Noticing his expression and tone of voice, she takes a sip of her wine.  "I understand.  He's in the library right now.   Probably planning the lessons for the class tomorrow.  I'll make you a plate of food for when you come back." 

"Thank you, Mother," Adrian said as he left the dining room, heading towards the library, which was a few floors up in the ancient castle.  

For a normal human, it would take a while to walk to the library from the dining room. However, Adrian wasn't completely human; he was different.  Using his powers, he ran very quickly to the library in less than thirty seconds. 

He opened the door to the library and looked around him.   It was one of his favourite places in the castle. 

There were large shelves of books that reached the ceiling.   On the shelves were books that contained knowledge that his father had collected from over the centuries.  

In the center of the library was a table with stacks of books and behind it, was a very tall man with a pale complexion.  His black hair reached his shoulders, and he had a goatee and a mustache.  His eyes were blood red, and they followed along the sentences and paragraphs of the book he was reading.  He wore a white collared dress shirt, along with black dress pants and black full brogues. 

His name was Vlad Dracula Tepes, the most powerful vampire lord the world had ever seen, as well as the leader of all vampires. 

He turned to see his son who was standing there with a serious look on his face.

He closed the book and placed it on the table before approaching his son. 

"How was school, Adrian?" He asked, looking his son in the eye. 

"Someone I care about almost fell victim to a kidnapping by two vampires," Adrian clenched his fists, "I had to kill both of them to protect her." 

Dracula raised a brow as he grabbed a cup of tea that was sitting on the table, taking a sip and clearing his throat, "Well, that's unfortunate." 

Adrian's eye twitched, "That's all you have to say, Father?   My friend could've been raped! Or worse, killed!" 

"I understand your frustration, Adrian, but there is nothing I can do about it.  You did the right thing by protecting her, but that's all you could've done.  Now head on to bed after you eat supper," he said calmly, placing the teacup down.

"What if it had been Mother?" Adrian said abruptly, "What would you do then?"  

Dracula's eyes widened.   He had never been asked this question.    If it were Lisa, he would've done the same thing and made a law to punish vampires who kidnap humans for anything.  

He thought to himself.  Vampiric law was not exactly up-to-date with modern times.  Vampires could get away with almost anything, as long as it did not hurt him or his family.  But now, Adrian's friend was almost kidnapped.    He never really thought about it, but what if it one day it turned out to be Lisa, and he couldn't save her? 

Dracula had made a decision.  

"I'll summon the council to discuss the matter at hand; in other words, I'm making a new law that will prevent vampires from kidnapping humans, along with harming them for reasons other than their blood," Dracula announced, "Eat dinner and head to bed, Adrian." 

"Thank you, Father," Adrian walked out of the library, heading to the dining room to eat his dinner. 

After eating dinner, he helped wash the dishes before returning to his room, changing into his pyjamas and climbing into bed, falling asleep under the moonlit sky.