~Chapter Five~

Claire has been feeling increasingly paranoid over the last week. She had a close encounter with vampires who almost kidnapped her, which left her terrified. To make matters worse, she discovered that her brother's best friend is a dhampir - a half-vampire, half-human hybrid. Adding to her worries, her family are - or were - vampire hunters.

One snowy Tuesday morning, Claire went to school, feeling weighed down by her fears. It was the beginning of December and Christmas was approaching, but Claire couldn't find it in her to be excited. Instead, she was preoccupied with thoughts of her safety during the holidays.

Trevor, who was walking behind her, was also curious about vampires. He wondered whether they would be more or less likely to attack at night, given the increase of people going out at night for holiday shopping.

Finally, Claire and Trevor arrived at school. Claire went to her locker, unlocked it, took off her coat, and hung it on one of the hooks. She also hung her light pink backpack on another hook before closing and locking her locker securely.

As she started walking away, she realized that she had forgotten her English textbook and notebook. She groaned and walked back to her locker. After struggling with the lock combination for a few minutes, she unlocked it again and unzipped her backpack. She took out a thick, large textbook, a thin notebook, and a pencil case.

With everything she needed, she headed to her class and sat down at her desk. She looked out the window and waited for her teacher to arrive.  Yet the anxiety wouldn't go away.  The fear of the kidnapping happening again seemed to paralyze her.  

It was getting harder and harder to breathe as she sat there, thinking about what could've been.  

What if she were raped? 

What if she were sold as a slave? 

What if she were killed? 

"Miss Belmont!  Are you alright?"

Claire snapped out of her daze and back to reality.  She looked to see her teacher staring at her with a very concerned look.  Everyone else in class was looking at her, too, but not with concerned faces.  They were looking at her with faces that were struggling not to burst into laughter.  Faces that thought it was the funniest thing that she was having a panic attack. 

She struggled to hold back her tears. She muttered "I'm fine" before getting up, grabbing her things and leaving the classroom. On the way out, she could hear her classmates giggling and whispering. 

"What a loser..."

"I heard rumours about that girl... she's with Adrian Tepes, right?  Of course, she goes for the most popular guy at school."

"She's Belmont's sister.  Always so sensitive and quick to anger."

She closed the door behind her.  Lately, she's been having nightmares so she didn't sleep well at night.  That wasn't good for her already bad paranoia. And the worst part was those panic attacks.  If the stress became too overwhelming, she would have one. 

Claire felt embarrassed. She looked down at the ground in shame.  She thought about what her classmates had said.  Did they really think she and Adrian were a couple?  They only met two months ago!  Besides, he was a dhampir.  Could he fall in love with her, an average human girl?

She entered the nurse's office and sat down in a chair.   Her anxiety was off the charts.  She let her tears fall.  She wasn't close to her period, as she had it two weeks ago.  It would likely happen a week before Christmas.   

It had to be paranoia, right?   

The school nurse approached her, "What are you doing here, Miss Belmont?" 

Claire wiped away her tears and sniffled, resting her head in her hand, "I've been feeling very anxious lately... I think I had a panic attack during class this morning."

"Well, that's unfortunate..." The nurse smiled. 

Claire looked up at the nurse and noticed she had fangs.  Two fangs that seemed sharp like scalpel blades;  fangs that could pierce her arteries, bleed her dry and eat her heart out. 

"You're a... a..." Claire mumbled in fear. 

"Have you figured it out?" The nurse chuckled, "You're about to die."

The nurse grabbed a scalpel from the table beside her.  Why did she have a scalpel?  This was a school, not a hospital. 

Either way, Claire ducked in her chair when the nurse lunged and attempted to slash her in the neck.  Claire gave a good kick at her but found it had no effect.

Claire let out a loud shriek of horror when she suddenly felt a sharp, stabbing pain in her abdomen; the nurse had stabbed her. 

She closed her eyes, clutching the wound in pain, bracing herself for death. 

Just as the nurse was about to stab her again, she let out a hiss of pain.                                      

Claire opened her eyes and saw Adrian standing before her, holding that same silver sword. 

She looked down at the ground and saw the nurse's severed arm; her arm up to her elbow had been cut off.  She was bleeding out from her arm - or what remained of it. 

"So, Dracula's little brat decided to love humans like his daddy, eh?"  The nurse taunted, "And how many humans have you fucked, you little bastard?!" 

Adrian didn't even look fazed.  That insult didn't even make him blink.  

"I don't see humans as livestock to eventually kill and drink their blood.  I see them as companions, unlike you." He said, glaring coldly. 

He turned to Claire, "Put pressure on that stab wound and don't stop until I get you to a hospital." He turned back to the nurse. "I'll finish this quickly."

Claire winced in pain as she pressed her palm on the wound on her belly. She was bleeding out heavily, causing a large stain to paint her white dress shirt with her blood.  

Adrian had the upper hand as the two of them fought with sword and scalpel.   He was extremely good at dodging and parrying the nurse's futile attacks.  

Finally, with a good swing of his sword, he broke the scalpel in half, the blade falling to the ground with a clink of metal. 

The nurse then realized it was over for her. No, it had been over for her the moment she decided to mess with Dracula's son.  No, that wasn't the part where her fate had been decided; it was over the moment she messed with Claire Belmont! 

The sword glowed blue flames, and Adrian swung it right into the nurse's neck. Her skin began to char and crisp as she was beheaded.  Her head bounced and rolled across the room before she completely turned to ash, ending her life miserably, instantly.

Adrian quickly sheathed his sword before dropping it and rushing to Claire, whose hand and shirt were covered in blood.  He grabbed his handkerchief out of his pocket before gently moving Claire's hand from the wound and putting pressure on it with the handkerchief, making it so that the blood wouldn't make a mess.     

"Hey, everything will be okay. I'll get you out of here, so don't you die on me, okay?"  Adrian said calmly, his voice soothing like a sedative. 

Claire's eyelids grew heavier and heavier as she could hear Adrian's voice seem to become distorted.  He lifted her bridal style and began to sprint.

Claire closed her eyes.  The last thing she saw was the blue sky which seemed to become cloudier.