Chapter Two: Broken Bridges

Rev and her mother were very close, so it was especially painful for Rev to hear her mother's last words: "You are a disgrace." Her mother's tragic death made it even harder to bear.

Rev remembered coming home late one night after hanging out with her friends, The Havocs, which is a group they had formed. As she tried to sneak to her room, her mother appeared at the top of the stairs and squinted at her. "Where in the heavens were you?" she asked.

Rev retorted "Why do you care." and turned to go to her room, but her mom's words halted her.

"You don't want to end up like you brother, do you?" Her mom sobbed, her eyes filling with tears. Rev looked away and stayed silent.

"It's my fault he's gone. I was a bad mother to him. I don't want to lose you too."

Rev felt a lump in her throat, but she suppressed it. "K." she muttered and tried to walk away, but her mom stopped her again.

"I can't. I...can't do this anymore. Your brother's death, your rebellion, everything has changed! You used to be my sweet Revolyn!" Rev's mom grabbed her keys. It was 3:00am and Rev wondered where she was going, but then she realized. She said nothing, though, hoping she was wrong.

"I don't know what to do. Your dad cheats on me with different women and I let him. And I can't have you sneaking out by yourself! You are only twelve! Do I mean nothing to you guys? Huh? Is that how it is?" Rev's mom wailed and opened the door. "I can't do this anymore. I can't do this anymore. I can't do this anymore." She repeated.

Rev's eyes welled up. "Mom, I just...I-"

"You are a disgrace." Her mom spat and glared at her for a long time. Tears streamed down her face. She sighed and left, slamming the door behind her.

That night, the news announced that a woman with dark skin, black hair, and a yellow shirt and jeans had accidently plunged off a bridge into the water and died.

Rev knew that was a lie. She felt it in her soul that her mom had chosen to end her life.

_______________________________________________________________________________

4 years later...

Rev gazed at the mirror for an eternity. She saw the marks of pain on her arms and legs. She saw the photos of her family in the mirror on her nightstand. They seemed like strangers to her. They were smiling. She saw her brother, full of life and joy. She saw her mom, radiant and content. And her dad. He looked like a loving man. One who cherished his family.

"REV. GET YOUR BUTT DOWN HERE!" Her friend Nugget, who got his nickname from his small stature, hurled a rock at the window. "BIG M AND GUMWAD HAVE SOMETHING FOR YOU!" He cackled and the other two joined him.

Rev hastily pulled down her sleeves and jeans. She didn't want them to see her bruises.

Rev descended the stairs, watching her dad who was on the couch with a beer bottle on his stomach.

The stairs squeaked under her foot, making a loud sound. Her dad opened one eye and glared at her. Then he woke up fully.

Rev felt a wave of terror as he looked at the clock. Her dad grabbed the beer bottle on his stomach and threw it at her. "GET LOST! YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN GONE AN HOUR AGO! GO DO SOMETHING USEFUL AND GET ME MORE BEER!" he roared.

Rev winced and dodged the glass bottle. "Yes, father." she saluted and ran out.

Rev caught up with Nugget, Big M, and Gumwad, still rattled.

"Rev? What was that racket?" Nugget asked, rubbing her back. Nugget was the nicest in the group. They often teased him for being a wimp because he was too easily frightened or hurt. But without Nugget they would be lost.