7) An Old "Friend"

As the sun started going down Gally stopped for the night. It was best not to be caught by Cranks, especially in complete darkness.

"Let's just bunker down. If you're sleeping outside of the car say so now,"Newt instructed.

"Why would anyone want to sleep outside of the car?"Hayden asked.

"To help save space,"He answered. "I know I'm going to,"He added.

"I guess I will then too,"Thomas shrugged.

"Great. Anyone else?"

"I don't mind doing that,"Rachel mumbled.

"Then, I guess I will too,"Her parents agreed.

"That should help quite a bit. Just be careful. The doors are open so if you hear something get in immediately,"Gally ordered.

Everyone said the rest of what they needed to before settling down. Luna was in the very back, resting right next to Hayden, curls up to his side. Every second my eyes fell on her as if I looked away she would just die.

"She'll be okay for the night,"Aris whispered.

"And if she's not?"

"She hasn't had any of the side effects we know will hurt her. Maybe sleepier than usual, but her eyes are normal, and she hasn't tried to hurt anyone,"He pointed out.

"Are you saying this to reassure me or you?"I asked.

"Both,"He admitted, leaning his head against my shoulder. I nodded in understanding as I intertwined our fingers. "We're gonna save her. We have to,"He sighed, squeezing my hand. I just squeezed back.

"I love you,"I whispered like always. Despite the circumstances he said the same thing back.

ᕙᕗᕙᕗᕙᕗᕙᕗᕙᕗᕙᕗᕙᕗ

Staying outside the Crank tunnel, we all exchanged glances.

"I'm gonna go see if anything's changed,"I volunteered, heading out.

"Y/N-"
"It's going to be fine, Aris. I did this last time, and everything was alright. Mostly,"I pointed out.

"I know, but-"
"I'll be back in a minute,"I promised.

"What happened last time?"Hayden asked. Without even realizing I glanced at Newt to see him gazing at it. I already knew what was running through his head. This was where he got infected.

"Nothing we can risk again,"I stated. Giving Aris a reassuring nod, I squeezed his hand before looking at Luna who was next to him with a blank expression. I reminded myself that this was all for her. Taking a breath, I put my hand on the handle and stepped out.

Walking towards the cave, I didn't look back as I stepped into pitch darkness. Squinting my eyes, I waited for some sign of movement. When there seemed to be nothing I dared to go further in.

That's when I spotted it. By the time I did it was too late though.

Someone stepped forward, aiming a rifle at me. If this were just a few years ago I would fight. Still, the goal I had in mind was de-escalationing the situation so I didn't leave my family incomplete.

So I put my arms up in surrender.

"Don't shoot. I just need to get through,"I explained, praying they weren't a Crank. If they're holding a gun the right way, surely it has to be a human, right?