1

"I've told you this. I'm not interested in finding someone." I cringed as my co-worker eyed Leo and I. "Jimmy! I'm serious. You too, Leo. You know after everything that I'm not." Leo gave me a sigh while sliding his hands on the bar. This is how it always is with everyone. Always something wrong with me or that they need to help fix. My best friend eyed me, before turning to look at Jim and spoke.

"Where is Rick?" Jim's head shot up and he looked around.

"Shit, I was supposed to go check on em." He clumsily got up and patted my shoulder as he caught himself from falling.

"I... will ...be right back." He stumbled down the path of drunk bar mates. I watched with a sigh. Jimmy was a co-worker as well as Rick. Both were quite the characters. Glancing down at my drink, Leo made a sound.

"What?" I snipped at him. He didn't speak. Glancing at him, I quirked a brow, daring him to remain silent. He threw back the shot and leaned over. His hair was up in a messy bun and his tattoos bulged as he lent forward. Elbows now up onto the counter as he ticks his teeth with his tongue. He placed down the shot glass while tucking his hands under his chest eyeing the t.v. ahead of us.

"I thought you were over the whole Malique thing." His voice wasn't loud or pointed but the irritation following his words bubbled in my gut. I wouldn't snap at him. We were old now no sense in fighting like children.

"I've told you this. Malique is not and never will be the 'thing'. Second of all, it's been 9 years since then, Leo. I'm over it." I took a long swig of my drink as he eyed me in his peripherals.

"You could always tell me who the 'thing' is." He mumbled and I slapped my hands lazily on the glass counter top. Turning to point my glass at him, he turned as well.

"There isn't a thing. They don't exist anymore. I'm over this conversation."

"So they exist. That's a first. Yet, 34 years and you're still a lonely fart." I let out a groan as I stood up. "Okay, Okay! I'll stop. I just want you to settle down and be happy." I nodded while grabbing my coat. He did the same.

"I know that. But that whole 'thing' isn't the answer and I promise you this. If it was I'd say fuck my feelings and high-tale it to the next state. Those people and the things they've done. Put us all through. That was completely unacceptable and I'll be damned if I settled down with one of them." Leo dug around in is pockets as the other two came stumbling back to us.

"Sorry, I got caught with some babes on the way back." Rick was bumping into me as he spoke. "What? You leaving us?" He practically shouted as he tugged at my coat.

"No we are going to find food. I'm starving with no food in the fridge and I know his husband didn't cook anything for em. You comin or what." I shrugged Rick off and Leo nodded without even looking at me. I approached the end of the counter as the bar lady turned.

"Hey love, can we close?" I asked and she smiled.

"Sure thing babes let me finish this real fast." I nodded at her, barely eyeing her as she literally ran to the back of the bar where people were yelling.

"Where are we going?" Rick whined and I instantly gave Leo a look. Jim sighed.

"Rick how much have you had?" Rick's face drooped at Jim's words.

"Am.. am I being too much?" He asked and instantly my chest hurt.

"No, no, you're alright you just seem really different right now. I wanted to make sure you were okay." Jim said and Rick nodded.

"I don't know where we are eating yet. You and Jim can pick or we can walk around for a bit and find a spot." I said giving Rick a wink. He blushed a bit as Leo and I were handed our stuff from the bar lady.