8

By the time we arrived at the emergency hospital and made it into the vet clinic. It had already been well over 40 minutes. Gryffins wasn't in the waiting room and neither was Indy.

I swallowed the bitter taste in my mouth at the thought of his proximity. Thankful that he hadn't quite shown himself yet giving me a few moments to prepare. Leo wasn't having it and immediately rushed to the counter.

"My husband just came in with my dog. He was shot!" He damn near shouted at the poor receptionist and every other person in the waiting room flinched while shrinking some in their seats.

"Yes sir. He's being prepared for immediate surgery as we speak. While you're here we can discuss the payment and all the necessary information before sending you back." I tensed and Leo's face cringed. Poor her my ass!

"Like hell you will. Let the damn man go see his dog. He could be dying. You'll get your damn payment but don't be insensitive." I hissed and she blushed hard.

"I'm sorry I.."

"We don't have time. Take him back there." She nodded while pressing a button and the door to our left opened. Leo glanced at me and for a moment I saw a pleading look and I was taken back to when we were kids.

"You seriously gonna just sit there?" The boy stared up at me with piercing silver orbs. His expression pleading with me. "What?" He swallowed while shoving me away.

"Nothing! You don't even know me so you wouldn't understand." He hissed.

"Well no shit." He glared and I glanced around at the school court yard. "So tell me why you look like a scorned dog." He scoffed.

"None of your business."

"Well since you're friends with my brother I think that makes us acquaintances." I kicked a rock as he stuffed himself further into his coat.

"Acquaintances do not ask about their business and just because I'm friends with your brother's best friend doesn't mean we have to talk. Elijah doesn't talk about you so we don't have to. Like at all..." I cringed as he did. He was spitting venom in his words but cringing as if what he said bothered him. He had such a fuckin attitude.

"I know that face." I said suddenly and he tensed. He cleared his throat looking away. "It's the kind that says I need something but won't say it because I'm capable of being strong and handling it myself." He bit the inside of his cheek.

"Don't you have class or something. I mean seriously I'm out here to get a breather not therapy from a wannabe psychologist." I sighed and took a few steps back. "Fuckin nosey dick." He whispered under his breath before I left for one of the side doors to the courtyard.

I stepped into the warmth of the school before looking back. The window was tinted so he couldn't see me but I could see him completely. My chest tensed when I locked eyes with him from this distance. He was watching me go with a look of pure sadness. A plea in his gaze. He wanted me to turn around. To stay.

That day I didn't stay. I walked away. After all he was just a friend of my brother's best friend....

But not anymore. He was my brother now. My last bit of family and I knew that look.

Without hesitation I followed him as he stepped through. The woman went to say something when she saw me but I glared and she didn't continue. Instead she hustled down the hall and Leo practically sprinted after her. We were led into another waiting room where Gryffin was pacing in the middle. Only one other pair of people were there and Indy who sat at the edge of his seat.