VII. ᴄʜᴀɴɢᴇ

That same evening, as the sun was casting a beautiful golden glow over the deserted world, Yi-kyung found herself approaching the boat where she knew her daughter had been staying.

It was in good condition, the ex-firefighter had to admit. The stairs she would take one step up, then hesitate on her decision managed to keep her unknown for her few minutes of wondering.

Should she do this...? Ah-yi looked like she was in good hands with the group of three... would her appearing just ruin everything? Make it better?

Yi-kyung made her choice at last, reaching the last step and approaching the start of the deck. She spotted Hyun-su and Sung-hyo sitting on the roof of the wheelhouse, watching the sunset. Sung-hyo's head was resting against Hyun-su's shoulder, with Hyun-su resting his head against Sung-hyo's slightly.

The pair seemed to just be enjoying each other's company, not saying or doing anything else, and making Yi-kyung second-guess her arrival decision. Should she come back tomorrow?

Yi-kyung never got to answer herself, as Hyun-su, who had felt like someone was watching them, lifted his head and turned. SUng-hyo, who had to lift her head as Hyun-su turned, went to look at what had caught her boyfriend's attention.

They both saw Yi-kyung, who was still standing at the end of the boat from them, a small and worried smile on her face as she watched the two teenagers climb down from the roof and make their way over to her.

While Yi-kyung waited a few moments, she spotted Ah-yi sitting on one of the many chairs piled up against the sides of the ships. Ji-ji had come up with this idea, planning to have them knocked down across the floor should anyone or anything arrive to hurt them.

Hyun-su appeared in Yi-kyung's line of vision first, with Sung-hyo behind him. Yi-kyung noticed that Sung-hyo wore the machete she'd had back at the start of this whole apocalypse. Putting that thought away, Yi-kyung slowly approached the group.

"Where's Ji-ji?" she spoke.

"Passed out in his bed," Sung-hyo answered. "Doesn't have to stay up late anymore... since his job doesn't exist anymore."

Yi-kyung nodded with a small sigh. As she finished her sigh, she noticed Ah-yi climb down from the chair she'd been sitting on and run over to Sung-hyo, hiding behind her. The child was very shy of this newcomer, and she knew Sung-hyo could protect her.

"I came too late, didn't I?" Yi-kyung spoke.

She expected Sung-hyo to scold her for abandoning her daughter... or for Hyun-su to say it was too late and to give up on her.

However, Sung-hyo only showed a sad smile. "Not at all. You're here now, aren't you? And I'm glad you are."

Yi-kyung's smile showed her relief.

Sung-hyo turned to the little girl still hiding behind her, gently trying to get Ah-yi to approach Yi-kyung.

"Say hi," Hyun-su said to Ah-yi as Sung-hyo managed to get Ah-yi out from behind her. "She's your mommy."

Ah-yi slowly moved forward, her gaze on the ground as she was still very shy. 

Yi-kyung was patient, waiting until her daughter finally looked at her before she spoke. "Hi there."

When the mother and daughter embraced one another after a few silent moments, Sung-hyo knew everything was going to change again.

But for the first time in a long time... she didn't mind.

ᶠYͧoͨᵏu

Sung-hyo knew that there were other survivors in the city. The arena wasn't the only place survivors were staying.