Chapter 3

It had already been over 2 weeks since Kuro walked Akari home and yet the whispers and rumors were still spreading around the school.

"I heard they're neighbors!" They would say. 

"I heard they're secretly living together." Others said. 

"I heard they are in a secret relationship and she came from the country side to be with him!"

"She's pregnant."

Akari just wanted to have a normal high school life, but just a little over 2 weeks in and she was already in a mess of drama. She heard that floods of girls were approaching Kuro with love confessions after hearing he walked her home. Apparently, they thought that if Akari had a chance, they had an even better one. She shook her head. This was just getting absolutely ridiculous.

She stomped her foot, stopping in the middle of the school hallway, gaining even more stares and whispers. That was enough! How could they possibly think they were secret lovers when they weren't even literally neighbors? He just happened to live a few houses down from her apartment complex. She hardly even saw him! In fact, she only saw him once after that day. Akari scratched the back of her arm and blushed. It was an unexpected meeting.

-----------------------------------------------------

She had gone to the local bookstore after school one day. When she went to the desk to buy her book, the cashier was distracted and hadn't noticed her. At first, Akari waited patiently for him to turn around. When he still didn't notice her, she tried knocking on the counter, but he didn't seem to hear her over the music playing in the shop. She knocked a little harder and even coughed, but there was no reaction.

"Excuse me?" Someone suddenly appeared beside her and Akari jumped in shock. She glanced up, and to her horror, she found the third-year prince standing before her. He never looked at her and instead, put his own book on the counter. Akari looked at the title and scrunched her nose. He sure enjoyed reading really boring texts. 

The cashier turned around, finally noticing their presence and apologized to them both for making them wait. Akari smiled and glanced at Kuro. He called the cashier's attention for her.

Akari began to hand the book to the cashier, but Kuro beat her to it. He handed his own purchase and the cashier took it first. She snapped her attention to him and her humor faded instantly. He didn't catch the attention for the cashier for her at all! He had the audacity to skip her even though she waited there first! Maybe he didn't recognize her? Akari's mouth settled into a grim line. Even if he didn't recognize her, it was wrong to skip someone. She bit the inside of her cheek in annoyance.

The cashier finished the sale and handed Kuro his purchase. As Kuro turned to leave, he looked Akari straight in the eye and then walked out without muttering a word. 

-----------------------------------------------------

"Are you done for today, Akari?" Chiyo walked into the classroom and snapped Akari back to reality. Chiyo set down the garbage can and dusted off her hands. Akari quickly nodded in response and began to gather her bags. "Mao is already changing for practice, so we can head over to the courts now." Chiyo pointed in the general direction of the tennis courts and Akari clapped her hands excitedly. They were going to watch Mao practice today.

-----------------------------------------------------

It was last week when Kuro was walking up the hill and he noticed Akari walk into the local book store. He cursed silently to himself. She was the last person he wanted to see. Even so, he quietly entered the book store and watched her through the bookshelves behind her. He watched her pull out a book and walk to the checkout counter, only to stand there silently. At first, she tried to politely wait for the man, but he didn't notice her. 'Say something, you stupid girl...now isn't the time to be shy...' Kuro thought to himself. He was starting to feel annoyed. Before he realized what he was doing, Kuro grabbed a random book and walked to the counter. He just couldn't stand watching her any longer.