Chapter 6

Akari slowly opened her eyes and immediately squinted to adjust to the bright light in the room. She felt like she had been run over by, not one, but several trains. Akari swallowed, her throat dry and scratchy. She was feeling overheated and a migraine was pounding at her temples. She felt too weak and discombobulated to move. She was perfectly content to remain in the large and comfortable bed.

As Akari became more aware of her surroundings, she realized she was not at her apartment, in her room, nor sleeping on her own futon. She just stared at the ceiling above her, reminding herself that her ceiling was painted a different color. Akari found the strength to turn her head so that her cheek rested on the pillow. She looked around the room to find unfamiliar furniture. The pillow she lay on was large and soft, and smelled very much like him. Looking down at her clothes, she was still wearing Kuro's shirt. Akari turned her head to her right and she found Kuro sitting at his desk with his back to her. As usual, he was reading a book.

Memories from earlier that day came flooding back to her. She must have fallen asleep due to the fever. Akari took that moment to look at Kuro and observe him. For someone still so young and still growing into his body, his shoulders were already so broad. His back was wide and she could faintly see the muscles against his shirt. Her eyes traveled up to the back of his neck. His skin was so smooth and she looked at the way his hair fell. She was sure his hair would be incredibly silky and soft. Akari blinked and looked away. She needed to stop staring at him before she fell in love with him.

She struggled to sit up and glanced at the clock that hung above his desk on the wall. She had to catch her breath when she read the time. It was already very late in the evening. She could see the moon in his window.

Akari sniffed and straightened up. Looking to her immediate right, there were tissues and medicine sitting on the nightstand. Akari glanced at Kuro again. He leaned back in his chair with his shoulders relaxed. He flipped another page in his book and brought his fingers to his chin. He still hadn't seemed to notice that she woke up. Looking around once more, Akari was amazed to find herself in such a situation. Had he put her in his bed? She imagined he would kick her awake rather than let her peacefully sleep in his bed.

As Akari looked up, Kuro turned and met her eyes. He really had remarkable eyes, sort of dark gold colored. It was like waking up to the setting sun in the midst of a hot summer. She blushed with embarrassment. Who would have ever thought she would be caught sleeping in the prince's bed?

"Finally, you're awake. Your snoring was annoying me." Kuro stood and walked to the night stand. He grabbed the medicine bottle and tossed it to her while also handing her a glass of water. Akari put a hand to her lips in embarrassment. 'I snore?!'

"Hurry and take this." He demanded. He was feeling slightly irritated. "I don't want to catch your germs." He said. "...And now I need to burn my bed." He ended with a sigh and Akari grumbled to herself.

"Take the medicine and do not move." He demanded. Akari gave him a grudging nod. He watched her as she swallowed the medicine and gulped back the cool liquid. She hadn't realized she was so thirsty.

Kuro sat back down but this time turned the chair around to face her. He rested his elbows on the arm rests and proceeded to read his book. It was no surprise to her that he did not say a word. Akari awkwardly sat on his bed, picking at his blanket while he just flipped through his book.

As he expected, the silly girl fainted on him and was burning up from a fever. His mother demanded that he let her sleep in her bed until she woke up. He was forced to act as her nurse. He wasn't going to let her get away with this one. If he did, it would be too lenient of him.

Akari made a noise. He looked up at her.

"Is there something you need?" He asked her with a disinterested expression. She just shook her head. "Good." He brought his attention back to his book. She was getting bored and she couldn't sleep anymore. She slept for far too long. Akari began to tap her fingers to a beat in her head. Kuro let the book fall slack in his hand and he passed her an impatient look. Akari immediately stopped tapping and cleared her throat. Watching him carefully, she began to trace letters onto the blanket.