Chapter 3: Zoe

It was a relief to be home. Now Zoe could make an plan to defeat the evil person who was being mean to Callista. Because only the wickedest elf alive would dare be mean to Zoe's best friend. She would need Jaye's help for sure. He was the Prank King. Except...was Zoe's dad the Prank King? Dad was a grown-up, though, and Zoe knew for a fact Jaye wanted to pulverize Callista's evil enemy.

Step One: Hail Jaye, Zoe thought. She shouldn't have felt so weird when she pulled out her Imparter.

"Of course I'll help!" Jaye said. "This person needs a good taking down!" He leaped to the Foster property almost instantly. One of the things that made Jaye so amazing was that he cared so much about his sister.

Next thing Zoe knew, a prank-obsessed Mesmer was pounding on the door like he was trying to kill it. Zoe ran down to open the door before her parents noticed and said something appropriately grown-up-like, like "You don't need to be so loud."

"Are you ready for Operation Down With Evil People?" Jaye asked, charging past her into the house. "Is Xandra here?"

"No. Remember, she's in the Elite Levels. She doesn't live here right now," Zoe answered.

"Xandra's awesome," Jaye said. He had changed out of his Foxfire uniform and into a blue-gray tunic with a green sash and gray pants, and was wearing a backpack that was probably full of pranking supplies. Zoe suddenly felt uncomfortable in her Level Six uniform. No way did it look as good on her as Jaye's outfit did.

Zoe led him upstairs, realizing that she'd never invited Jaye into her room before. Would he think it was too purple? Too sparkly?

"Is that an Emotional Support Stuffed Animal?" Jaye asked, pointing at a purple wyvern.

"No, it's a hot dog cart. Yes, it's an Emotional Support Stuffed Animal." Zoe reddened. Would Jaye think it was childish? When he'd been younger, he'd had a stuffed sasquatch, but Zoe didn't know if Jaye still had it.

"Oh, I still have Thumper. Sasquatches for the win!" Jaye asked. "Why a wyvern?"

"Because they're awesome. No more explanation needed," Zoe answered. She sat down on her bed, smoothing out the already pretty smooth purple blankets.

Jaye sat down next to her, opening up his backpack. "I've got some pretty cool elixirs in here. Maybe we can get Torrin's dad to make us a camera to spy on who's causing Callista all this trouble. Then I can sneak into their house in the middle of the night and replace all their hair products with balding serum."

"Or we could confront them directly and yell their brains out," Zoe offered.

"Or both." Jaye grinned, his smile making his eyes light up. "I have a barfing elixir here."

"Ew." Zoe recoiled. "Let me see." As Jaye passed her the elixir, their hands brushed and Zoe's face went hot. She was sure her face was as red as last year's uniform.

Jaye pulled out more and more elixirs, and a plan began to form.